Sign in to follow this  

Clarke 3.9 tank installation question

Did anyone use the cross brace do-hicky on their tank? Reason I ask is it sure makes tank removal more complicated plus the fact that the brace didn't exactly fit to well. I had to bend it many times to actually get it to fit without rubbing the frame downtube. No big deal but if I don't realy need the thing I'd rather leave it off.

One more complaint, newer Suzuki yellow by Clarke's standards must be a case of the guy mixing the plastic being a somewhat color blind :cry: The yellow does not match the Suzuki yellow. And yes I ordered the newer Suzuki yellow tank. Should have ordered Natural in the 1st place. :cry:

Other than that the tank fits pretty good. It was dirty on the inside. I have not added gas yet since I washed it out, it needed some drying time plus I can't crank the bike now anyway, it's tore down for countershaft seal replacement. Parts are here except the spacer. I hope to have that finished today if the spacer comes in. My shade tree seal repair from last week only lasted 165 miles or so & there she blows again. It got me through the weekend ride so that was good.

I left mine off, only because I forgot about it until I saw it after the fact...

Had several good get-offs already & plenty of miles without it on, also after

I saw it was missing I pushed the tank around in all directions and it wasnt

moving around so I left it off.

I had the same experience. After 10 minutes of bending it finally fit to my satisfaction but it looks like crap. The color is off just enough to make me want to send it back though. I think they call it newer yellow but it's the same color as the old yellow in my opinion. Maybe they have a new person shipping the wrong tanks from the warehouse.

You were putting it on backwards. It fits perfect and does not require any bending. I use it and think it provides added support. It will keep the front of the tank from lifting and tearing the back mounting tab.

You were putting it on backwards. It fits perfect and does not require any bending. I use it and think it provides added support. It will keep the front of the tank from lifting and tearing the back mounting tab.

How does the front of the tank lift up if it's properly installed over the donuts on the frame? Mine's solid as a rock without the brace :cry:

I haven't used the brace for 3 seasons, no problems so far (and, yes, that includes a few hard get offs).... I'm not even sure where that part is anymore.....

Roscoe

I left it off too, just looked like something that would cause more harm than good as in chaf wiring.

No problems with it not being there, the tank has been on almost 3 seasons.

I didn't use the cross brace do-hicky. The tank shrouds should hold it down through anything short of fatal. The yellow color is a problem if you appreciate pretty bikes. It seems like they should be able to get closer than that.

I used the cross brace, it required a little coaxing to go on but nothing major. Piece of cake compared to the work I had to do to get the fuel petcock to fit onto the tank. On mine, the holes in the tank were not large enough to pass the bottom of the fuel screen (where the fuel screen goes over the brass tube). I had to drill the holes out larger (both for the main tube and the reserve), and I had to play with the petcock a lot to get it to seat properly over the two screw holes. But, when done it sealed tight as a drum, no issues. I found a lot of plastic dust in mine too and cleaned it out as best I could. Bought mine in blue. The blue is not bad, but if you are expecting a nice UNIFORM blue throughout the tank you are in for a surprise. Apparently they mix the color for the blue themselves and it usually results in color swirls. So if you're going blue set your expectations appropriately and if you don't care for the swirls better buy some cool tank decals or something.