Sign in to follow this  

Concussion question?

Out riding on Saturday (not very fast from what I can remember). One moment I'm on the bike, next some buddies are helping me to my feet. I do not remember crashing or even what happened (normally you remember trying to recover from it, right?). Off to the ER for CAT scan and neck X-Rays (head, face and neck still hurt like a b***tch). Nothing broken, thanks goodness. From looking at the bars and front mudguard and my helmet, I'm guessing I endo'd and did a face plant.

Now the questions:

1. I still feel concused (happened Sat afternoon). Any idea when this goes away?

2. My neck hurts like hell. Guess I pulled a bunch of muscles in it. Should I get some physio?

3. My memory has not returned (i.e. still cannot remember the events leading up to the crash). Will it ever return?

Now I guess its time to go an choose a replacement helmet

You will unlikely remember getting whacked. I got knocked out by some thugs while out on a bender, and i don't remember getting hit. I found it difficult to read or look at a computer screen for about a week and a half, and the doctor told me not to. I couldnt look at anything very detailed like the vernier marks on a caliper for a good two months. Hope you feel better soon.

Concussion post

Good luck with yours. I still have memory issues. Don't remember a lot of small details. Mine's getting better all the time, but, you should see a neurologist if you keep having symptoms. I don't know if you drink, but the big thing for me was to stay off alcohol. You need all the brain cells you can. Keep us informed as to your progress.

Peace.

Out riding on Saturday (not very fast from what I can remember). One moment I'm on the bike, next some buddies are helping me to my feet. I do not remember crashing or even what happened (normally you remember trying to recover from it, right?). Off to the ER for CAT scan and neck X-Rays (head, face and neck still hurt like a b***tch). Nothing broken, thanks goodness. From looking at the bars and front mudguard and my helmet, I'm guessing I endo'd and did a face plant.

Now the questions:

1. I still feel concused (happened Sat afternoon). Any idea when this goes away?

2. My neck hurts like hell. Guess I pulled a bunch of muscles in it. Should I get some physio?

3. My memory has not returned (i.e. still cannot remember the events leading up to the crash). Will it ever return?

Now I guess its time to go an choose a replacement helmet

1) I knocked myself out in '98 The "fuzzy" or "cobwebs" didn't totally go away for 3-4 weeks. It takes time.

2) That's a question for the doctor.

3) You might, you might not. I still don't remember my crash, only the few seconds before it.

In any case, take it easy for a few weeks. Being knocked out is nothing to take lightly. When I did start feeling better, I still had episodes of woozines...

Merf

On Friday at the TT MX day at Gorman I-5mx

I never made it around 1/2 a lap, when I suddenly found my self crawling over to the side. Everything spinning, could not stand for a few seconds.

I had an immediate headache neck hurt like heck. BTW I was wearing my EVS neck brace :cry:

All I remember was Brian Wilson slowing down enough to ask me if I was ok. I do not remember getting back to my truck, I remember seeing the EMT and Blue_One tells me I sat at my truck and spoke with Steve (sktom) for awhile.

I do not recall taking any video during the day, but I clearly shot about 30 minuets and did remember taking pics.

Headache lasted two days, Saturday I was weak and in a fog. Sunday I was feeling better today I feel normal accept for my left knee and some ribs hurt.

If you are still feeling the way you do go to a Dr Asap.......

But you remember the important things....... www.thumpertalk.com LOL* :cry:

Yup, the long term memory seems to be there (and after all, one remembers the important things!!) I guessed I couldn't be the only one on this site who has had this happen in the past, so was looking for some 'insight'. I don't remember much the doctor in the ER said at all, but at least my wife does (I think she is my wife :cry:). I've had a few concussions in the past (mainly playing rugby), but none this severe. I have an appointment with the spine doc tomorrow (previous parachuting injury), so I guess I'll add this to my list of questions to ask him.

Thanks again for all the wishes - here's hoping I'm up to riding again in a few weeks :cry:

drtbkr - thanks for the link and update on your progress. I sure hope I don't have too long a problem. Here's wishing you a full recovery soon too :cry:

My last concussion which happened about 2 years ago was the worst injury I've had to date. I lost memory of everything that happened during the three days before the accident and the day of the accident as well as a lot of small details that happened in the previous month. My head hurt for about a week or two. I still don't remember what happened to this day. I'm glad I had a helmet on.

I had a concussion mountian biking a couple years ago. The memory of the event will not come back. It's like switching off a computer with somthing in RAM that hasn't been written to the hard drive - it's gone.

As far as memory, I was taking a difficult class in the evenings at the time. 7 days after the concussion I had a midterm and got a 38%. 6 weeks later on the final I got 98%. I studied about the same for both, so the memory does come back. I think my personallity was a little off for several months though. Best thing to do is take it easy and don't take a chance of bumping your head again for a while.

I had one about 4 yrs ago that split my helmet up the middle. ( Crotch Rocket ).

I could talk and made good sense to everyone around me but, had complete memory loss.

A day later it started to come back to me who I was.

All I remember about the whole weekend ( to this day ), was the burning smell of the nitrous bottle on the 900RR I was racing through some mountain backroads.

I remember that I had frequent migraines for 2-3 mnths afterward, and my personality changed a lot, ( so everyone told me ).

I did not seem to care about things as much and put myself into a lot more dangerous situations.

See a neurologist to get an EEG and be careful, :cry:

2.5 yrs since I got air lifted from a track and all I can remember is a split second of the actual crash.

You may never remember.....sometimes that's a good thing.

I rag-dolled down the landing of the jump that happened to go down a hill. I was sore all the way around my body.

It took 3.5 days before my head felt normal. I had to stand slowly, slide my hand along the wall for balance, etc...

All is good now. :cry:

Aaron

I fought with a tree many years ago, or so they say. I think I was out for maybe 2 hours. Never did remember what happened, just that I was riding real good before the fight. I was real woozy for about a week, not real sharp the next. I don't recall having migraines. :cry: :cry: :cry:

On Friday at the TT MX day at Gorman I-5mx

I never made it around 1/2 a lap, when I suddenly found my self crawling over to the side. Everything spinning, could not stand for a few seconds.

I had an immediate headache neck hurt like heck. BTW I was wearing my EVS neck brace :cry:

All I remember was Brian Wilson slowing down enough to ask me if I was ok. I do not remember getting back to my truck, I remember seeing the EMT and Blue_One tells me I sat at my truck and spoke with Steve (sktom) for awhile.

I do not recall taking any video during the day, but I clearly shot about 30 minuets and did remember taking pics.

Headache lasted two days, Saturday I was weak and in a fog. Sunday I was feeling better today I feel normal accept for my left knee and some ribs hurt.

If you are still feeling the way you do go to a Dr Asap.......

Do you remember trying to grab my ass and kiss me? :cry: :cry: