Sign in to follow this  

Ice studs

Im starting to get some things around for when the snow and ice comes.But the problem is tires.I know about the terellberg(sp) and the winter studs tires but I just cant see spending $300 just for a nice rear tire.When I had my yz85 I studded the tires with sheet metal screws and they all fell out.Is there any studs or screws I could put in my tires that at least have a chance of holding up?Or is there a cheaper set of tires that come pre-studded that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

I did a search on TT and found out about Kold Kutters.But I cant find a picture of them or where to buy them.Any help?

theres things like a triangle with the 3 corners turned up. You can get a tire like they got on dual sports with really close knobbies and put those in. Make sure to cut an old tube and put it as a guard inside the tire.

http://www.werproducts.net/trelle1.html

Spike tires are expensive. You can try to install the spikes yourself, but they need to be decent spikes specifically made for dirtbike tires. You drill the tires and glue the spikes on with a special glue. I know the spikes need to be treated with some kind of acid first. The tire rubber must not be either too soft or too hard.

There is no way to get any screws to hold on a tire. All efforts are doomed. Even factory made spiked tires drop the spikes quite easily. Or then simply the knobs get torn.

No cheap gimmick for this. It is always big bucks. :cry:

Donno what's wrong with photobucket, my photos were all dropped, I'll reload the photo later, it's in my other computer. :cry:

I have not been able to reach my tiresupplier, I'll revert as soon as I know about the acid, glue and spiketype he used. There may be some professional secrets involved though... :cry:

What kind of terain are you thinking of riding on in the winter. I have found that this info makes a huge diff in the type of tires you run.

For instance a friend of mine set up a set of tires with gold screws. Then went out for a ride and they were thrashed at the end of the ride. Problem was he rides in the mountains were there is lots of rock. In these conditions screws dont last very long.

But in Michigan were I ride a ice screw studded tire will last a year or more of trail riding. We dont have many rocks. Just sand and black dirt.

Now f you just want to ride on frozen lakes. That takes a totaly differant tire. Ice tires are treated like gold. Dont let them touch anything but ice. When taking the bike of the ice the tires must be wraped with tire wraps to protect the screws. And even then the bike should be pushed not ridden off the ice. A good pro built set of ice tires will set you back around $600-700. But after ridding a CRF450 with pro built tires I can attest that they are absolutely worth the money. There is nothing like a properly set up set of tires for the ice.

But for trail riding I use 5/8 gold screws in the back and 1/2" in the front. My rear trail tire is like 8 years old and still holds screws in it. Although it is getting really bad as of late. It will spit a few screws each ride but not many. Maybe a dozen or so. Just stay off rocks, pavement, and anything hard except ice and they will stay alive longer.

My ice tire is a Kenda ice master tire with 1" kold kutter screws in the rear and 1/2 kold kutters in a knobby front. The rear has a street bike tire inside for a liner. Cut the side walls off the streetbike tire and insert into the rear. Then screw the 1" screws thru the kenda and into the liner. This would probably work for trail tires as well. You wont spit out many 1" screws when installed in this maner.

I want a set of Trelly's for trail riding. They are the best I have seen in the snow. They arnt the best on the ice but they will keep you off your :cry:

Donno what's wrong with photobucket, my photos were all dropped, I'll reload the photo later, it's in my other computer. :cry:

I have not been able to reach my tiresupplier, I'll revert as soon as I know about the acid, glue and spiketype he used. There may be some professional secrets involved though... :cry:

Talked with my tiresupplier. He does the following:

First he treats the spikes with hydrochloric acid, then washes them with acetone and lets them dry. Then he drills holes 4,5 mm for the spikes which are 9 mm in diameter,

glues the spikes on tires with Loctite 496. It is important that the tire is not too hard; otherwise the knobs get torn away. A good front tire is Bridgestone Gritty ED661 and the rear tire I have is Trelleborg WinterFriction 454 (it may be a bit hard though, I will see it during winter). These tires are for MX, For trails you cannot put spikes pointing out from tire sides, the spikes get torn away. We use a lot of Mitas tires for spikes too.

Here again picture of my MX tires.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/SureBlue/Cnv0039.jpg

For frozen lakes even longer spikes are used. The tires are DURO Excelerator for front and Duro Heavy Duty for rear.

Picture of the Duro icetrack tires:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/SureBlue/Cnv0040.jpg

So get your spikes and start with the painful job and save money!