Sign in to follow this  

Think twice before going to GP!

I don't have a death wish but I love volcanoes. I have seen them in Costa Rica, Hawaii and the US.

Watching lava stream down the sides of Arenal in 1996 with my sister is one of the highlights of my life. As long as St. Helens doesn't kill anyone, let her rip! I would love to see the eruption first hand from a safe distance.

Greg

Someone recently posted a question on another list asking if you could ride your bike into the crater on Mt. St. Helen's.

I think that would be a big ole NO! :cry:

Same here. I have just enough curiosity to want to be up there when it goes off.

There's still ash everywere from the '80 eruption. I can't imagine how thick it must've been.

:cry:

into the crater

Ha, only if they like riding over nasty sharp rocks _during_ an earthquake.

Remember the people on top of the building in Independence day when the UFO blasted them. Yeah, it'd be kind of like that.

- Ryan

My house is on a ridge south of St. Helens. It's what you see when you look out of the front. I am keeping the video camera charged, just in case...............

Rode there for 85 miles Friday, I ain’t afraid of no volcano… I think that’s what the old man at the sprit lake lodge said days before his untimely death. :cry:

Let's just ride up into the crater of Saint Helens and climb that dome.

Do you think the Michelin trials tire will do well in ash and pumice? :cry:

I was there in 1980, camping just a few miles outside of the blast zone. It took us three days to get out of there.

Once was enough for me :cry:

How far were you from the Volcano when it blew? I would love to ride GP and get close to St. Helens but not too close. I can't believe any imminent eruption will be as bad as 1980 was. Not until the pressure builds for weeks on end like last time. Who knows, maybe it will happen?

Greg

The predictions for if it does blow are mostly for ash & steam. It may look coll, but hopefully there won't be much damage. I have been keeping a camera ready as we live with a good view of the Mt................

Let's just ride up into the crater of Saint Helens and climb that dome.

Do you think the Michelin trials tire will do well in ash and pumice? :cry:

Absolutely!!!! :cry:

I'll be real close along with 6 others with me. Should be fun, liek to get a picture of it blowing while I'm on tiop of Hamilton Butte with my camera! :cry: Now of Mt Adams goes this weekend, I'm a goner!

I'm there with ya!!! :cry: :cry: