Sign in to follow this  

TTR120 vs. XR100 yet again!

Here's the skinny:

After watch my friend dominate the Elsinore vet track and mini track on his Stock TTR125LE against any and all bikes, my 200 conversion, 450's, 250'c, 125's, 85's, pro 110 riders, and whatever else, I actually called up a Yamaha dealer to ask questions about financing, OTD priceing, etc.. In fact, I almost bought one over the phone. Anyway, last weekend, we all went to Elsinore again and on the mini track I wasn't really getting past on my 1981 XR100 (modded out - 120, CDI, suspension etc.) even by him, however he said he was just playing. But he was still killing everyone on the vet track, which has a bunch of 30 - 50 tables and fast turns, and soft hardpack lake bottom soil. I was jelous over his electic start button, effortless passing big bikes on the inside at will, even backsiding step-ups, (this time he had a pipe and a airbox kit. So at the end of the day, I decided to try it. My first impression was . . . (get this), "what a peice of crap". It wouldn't get out of it own way, the suspension sucked, the motor felt like it had gear reduction and a bit top heavy. My 120 twin shocker, felt way way better. (it's still a pile) And I was this close <> to selling it. The bottom line is, 95% rider 5% bike. At least in this case. I'm keeping my beater 120 and practing more. :cry: :cry: :cry: Now, I'm not saying the TTR is a pile and the XR100 rules, for adults they both kinda suck. My point I'm trying to make is, you can have fun on just about any bike. :cry: Although, that button is sure nice.

BTW: He is a pretty fast vet intermediate and I'm a mid pack vet 40+ junior.

OH Man Socal you had me sooo scared!!

I thought you were jumping over to the blue side, phew!!

I raced my BBR120 for the first time in the 125 class on the weekend and I finished 19th out of about 35 riders. Not too bad but I need a few more ponies.

The bike handles awesome though.

Socal~

:cry: My first impression of the ttr125, was the same EXACT thing!!!! I have to add, the motor felt like it was pinging the whole time also...

I got back on my daughters xr100(with a pipe) and it felt better to me.

I havent seen it to believe it, however I would love t see a small bike spanking everyone, maybe the next time you go out, we could hook up. I would love to go riding with you. My bike is about 70% done right know( I know ive been saying that for about a year now :cry: :cry: :cry:)

Phil~

Slap some pics of your bbr120 on your site, I want to check it out!!!

:cry:

I think we're going this Saturday. Last week was awsome, we had 2 twin shock 100's, a couple SL70's with 88's, a TTR, a couple 200 converions, a regular 100 conversion and a klx110. Even Dave Miller from DMC showed up. I haven't ridden with that many guys in at least 3 years. We mainly ride the vet track and the mini track.

I think we're going this Saturday.

Well, I'm not quite ready........

cxr200x.JPG

I will definitely take you up on that when im ready :cry:

Were do you guys go??? Glen Helen, Elsinore?

~ToaDsiX

Most of my buddies go to REM at Glen Helen, But lately we've been going to Elsinore. What year bike is that???? It looks brand new, but it has a white frame.

It's a 99. I wanted the white frame to make it look stock :cry:

It looks brand new

I appreciate that, I've been cleaning the crap out of every little part before final assembly :cry:

Hopefully, If time permits, I can assemble the motor(laying on the bench in a hundred pieces) this weekend. Or start assembling anyway :cry:

Phil~

Its a 28mm kehein off the original cr80 motor with an extenstion that i machined.

Socal~

Yep, I did the whole thing! Thats wy its taken me so friggin long! LOL