Sign in to follow this  

How much to have a top end rebuilt???

I have noticed a loss of compression. The bike is hard to start and there is noticably less power especially coming out of corners. The bike is a 2002 YZ250F and has two previous owners. The first owner raced it as have I. I dont know what kind of maintenance to the motor has been done, but I would assume none. I am considering having the entire top end redone to include changing the timing chain etc. A buddy of mine said that he can get the mechanic at the local shop to do the job for approximately $500. Is this too much? Thanks.

After that much use and racing you would want to at least check (if not completely replace) the valves. I don't imagine that your quote of $500 includes the cost of replacing valves, since the parts for that alone will run you about $500. If you're going to have a mechanic open up your engine to replace piston, rings, timing chain, and things like that then you don't want to overlook the valves. If they are still in spec after all this time then more power to you but that sure seems unlikely.

And if the mechanic IS going to replace the valves, piston, rings and timing chain for only $500 then please give me his number!