Sign in to follow this  

ISDE valve issues

My nephew just got back from Poland where he competed in the ISDE (silvered in the club division!) - but the bad news is they estimated slightly less than half of the CRF250X's competing there had valve problems, ranging from hard starting to outright engine failures. My nephew's X was OK but he had less than 300 miles on it.

It's time Honda stood up to the plate and recalled these things and did some head repairs.

The excuses including "fine dust intrusion", "high rev impacts", "it's not an XR" etc. - are just so much smoke to hide the fact that these things are obviously substandard in reliability.

I think Honda's gonna lose a big customer base on this unless they move on it - I know this will be my last Honda unless they act responsibly.

I am 100% with you guys. The CRF was going to be my next bike. Hard choices between 250 vs 450 and the x. I have lived thru the valve probs on my KLX but not as bad as you poor guys. I am now looking at 2 strokes. Screw those dam valves. It will be red stickered, but oh well. And I should be able to modify to act similar to a 4stroke.

Good luck to everyone.

I watched a tv programme on sunday and i couldn't believe it when i watched fast eddy (paul edmundson)replacing his valves on his x after 4 days,seriously thinking off getting shot of my x while all the valves are in spec after 18hrs thinking of a 2 smoke 125 :cry:

I am now looking at 2 strokes. Screw those dam valves.

Yeah, I think the CRF250 will be good for two-stroke sales

i dont understand how they use fine dust intrusions as an excuse..what to do they expect us to do when checking valve clearence..seal ourselfs in an air tight chamber

Similar news from this weekend's 24 Hours of Glen Helen where despite having a rep from Honda R&D doing the maintenance, a woman's team ran into repeated valve problems on their fleet of X's.

surely honda must realise there is a big problem now with high profile teams/events running into valve problems with few hours on these bikes,i really like my x and i can only think that my valves are o.k because i don't ride in dust,only mud as its always fr**gging raining!! oh and i don't hit the rev limiter don't want a deposit in my race pants could be embarrasing in the pub after riding :cry:

I wouldn't say "I'm going back to 2 smokes"... I'd go Yamaha. They've got the valve thing figured out with the 3 little intakes, instead of the 2 big-honkin-holy-mother intakes.

I'm in the process of installing stainless steel valves in my RMZ (...another source of intake valve bingo). I'm feeling pretty confident that this will end it's valve issues. But c'mon... between Honda, Kawi and Suzuki, they need to step up and admit the problem. I know several guys still riding their '01 YZ250Fs with the original valves and springs.

I'd say, "go blue, or go two"

~Tex

RMZ+ss

I am now looking at 2 strokes. Screw those dam valves. It will be red stickered, but oh well. And I should be able to modify to act similar to a 4stroke.

get a ktm 300 and duct-tape a couple cinder blocks to it fore and aft, then lean out the jetting so it's harder to start and there you are, a 2-stroke that acts similar to a 4-stroke. hahahahaha. :cry:

seriously, yamaha and ktm seem to be able to make 4-strokes that are pretty reliable, and ktm even makes some that aren't ponderous heavy pigs. i was pretty interested in the idea of a crf450x, but i'll definitely hold off a year or two and make sure they don't suck.

first, congrats to your nephew. a very good job!!! :cry:

second, i would be most interested in finding out what the percentages of other 250 4T bikes (by brand) had valve issues.

third, wasn't it last year when Fred Hoss on the Husky TE250 was in 2nd place overall 250 4T and on day 5 his bike quit (left him on the side of the road) because of valves and his gold medal hopes became just a dream?

Thanks!

As far as other bikes with problems, I don't have a clue. My nephew was accompanied by his parents who pitted for just about anyone each day long, and this post is based on their comments. My brother-in-law tends to be very protective of Honda products :cry: but even he had to comment on the overly disproportionate number of 250's having problems. Just before they left for Poland we had a typical discussion on what the valve problem stemmed from (no pun intended) and he was adamant it was just incidental dust or over-rev. Since the ISDE he has cooled his jets a bunch. They personally know of one very famous Honda rider who even cheated by completely switching engines while hidden in his van - I don't know if anyone who knew of it protested - but you get the drift, the failures were extraordinary.

Let's not be smearing ISDE riders or any other professional riders for that matter. Our sport has enough bad press, we don't need to advertise our own idiocy. If there is such wrong-doing occuring, it should be reported timely and accurately through the appropriate channels. I don't think we should tolerate internet stories of mischief that would tarnish the reputation of professional riders or organizations. Yes, there is a brotherhood and commaradary in offroad motorcycling, but that doesn't include looking past wrong doing, especially concerning competing. Let's compete by the rules, and may the best man win. If you beat me, I'll respect you. If you cheat me, well...we'd end up in grudge mathes that have nothing to do with racing, only revenge. :cry:

It's great you know someone on the inside, but let's be prudent in what you disemanate publicly.

Thank you for enduring my soap box. :cry:

I've been involved in 2 previous ISDE's, and I've seen the cheating first hand. Unfortunately, that is how it's done.

I agree with you to some extent - that's why no name was given. The context used was to demonstrate the ends (even a pro) some would take to compensate because of an unusual mechanical component in an otherwise more level field of play. I can understand some peoples' need to hold professional people in high esteem regardless, but frankly, I don't share that perspective. It strikes me that most people reading this thread are sophisticated enough to understand what is going on.

Bad press? Smear? I don't think so - I prefer to live in the real world - one that can always be improved by open dialogue and honesty - for the better of the sport. :cry:

Sputter,

I'll overlook the snide comments about being unsophisticated and not living in the real world. Maybe I said it wrong, maybe it was taken wrong . I understand the point you were trying to make and its a valid one. I just don't think it was worth the bad PR to prove your point. I'm all for open and honest dialogue that would help the sport. That's why I think we have got to report cheating, especially at international media events such as the ISDE. I never did say to hold pros in high esteem when they cheat, quite the opposite. If people were cheating, I'd like to see their names and stories on the five o'clock news tonight. I also think we need honest and open dialogue about the mechanical issues, but an internet rumor about so-and-so' nephews cousin, who was there, saw someone cheating...come on. Is that open and honest dialogue? Does that address the problem or offer a solution? How is that productive, either to the cheating incident or the mechanical failure?

My real motivation? I lost my favorite riding area due to stupidity....drunks riding wheelies on quads down the highway, bikes jumping off the dam, which was off limits, somebody getting killed, etc... Dirt bikers have a bad rap (SOMETIMES deserved, sometimes not) for being druggies, drunks, rowdy, unruly, rebelious, etc. It wasn't until the last 10-15 years that the sport began to garner some legitimacy. Every act of rudeness and unruliness (breaking the rules) threatens our right to ride. If we don't get the 'bad apples' to act and ride responsibly, we all stand to lose our privelege to ride. Frankly, I would love to see every drunk (while riding), jerk and cheat thrown off a dirt bike never to ride again. Realistically, if we don't police ourselves, someone else will. And as we've seen , they don't do that by taking our bikes. America is too entrenched in private property for that to work. No, they simply take our riding areas, to the same effect. We then have dirt bikes that we can't ride.

If you think that proving the first year model Honda has a valve issue is worth all that....then never mind, we've missed the point, and lost the war.

P.S. And no, I don't think we need to just be quiet about cheating. I just don't think that TT is the proper time and place. I don't want to give any fodder to the greenies that are trying to shut us down. Maybe I'm overreacting? But you should of seen this place we lost. It was miles and miles of singletrack. We'd duct tape a bottle of oil to the bars and stuff a ten bill in our boots and gas up in this little town. You could ride all day long, one direction on the tightest and most technical single track, and never see another person!!! It was way cool and my favorite playground, and I'll never get to ride there again. Why? Because a very few people broke the rules and others tolerated it by looking the other way. Never mind that the overwhelming majority rode extremely courteous, had plated bikes, packed out their trash, waved to all the locals, waited at road crossings until cars were out of sight, etc... :cry: I'm pretty sick over this whole thing and just angry at the crowd that lost if for us. We need to put our best foot forward, and cut the bad one off!!!! :cry:

Rivermont, near Potosi, Missouri... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't think the valves are that big of a issue once you see you have to adj. order some intake valves and replace then ride till the next time.