Sign in to follow this  

KTM450sx radiator guard question

I noticed works connection doesnt make radiator guards for the KTM450sx. Do the ktms have problems with the radiators getting bent up on the sides from crashes? I'm thinking of getting a 450sx and was just wondering about how they hold up. Any opinions are welcome.

It depends on the crash. They're aluminum, so if you crash hard enough or in just the right place, they will bend or break. I considered the price of guards against the price of a radiator (or repair) and went with the guards for insurance. I purchased the Flatland Racing ones and they offer great protection with good airflow. Devol also makes a good set.

That's funny because I have a set of W/C on my '04 450sx.

The ones listed for the '03 450exc will fit. I don't know why they dont list them. Here's the link to the 450exc braces: WC Braces

If you look close at the picture They are using an '02 or earlier bike to model the braces look at the frame and fork colors

I have them on mine too. They have them listed only up to 03, but I don't think the radiators or mounts have changed at all. Go figure. :cry:

I just ordered some from Unabiker and he said KTM uses the same radiators on a lot of their bikes.

I bent my left one in a low speed crash last week.

IMO they suck. I bent 2 sets of them in minor crashes. they fold like tin foil. :cry:

Flatland makes some NICE ones that dont bend. Full frontal coverage and all.

Good, I had just sent him $93 by Paypal about a hour before I saw your post and was bummed. I'll post some pics of them when I get them which should be today or tomorrow. Plus, my impressions of mounting, fit, etc.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll make sure I get some guards before I start riding to hard. I trashed a radiator on a new bike a few years ago becuase I hadnt ordered the guards yet. Minor crash too. I was bummed.

IMO they suck. I bent 2 sets of them in minor crashes. they fold like tin foil

Never had that problem. So far, they've done their job.

Well, I got the Unabiker guards. One of my radiators was slightly bent to begin with and these guards fit very tight. I had a rough time putting them on and was not sure if they were in fact the correct one's for this bike.

Once I got everything together, I'm VERY pleased with the results. The guards are very sturdy and bolt together with a rod that goes behind the frame tube. Overall, I'd say it's a very stout setup and should greatly reduce the damage to the radiators.

Mine originally bent when the shrouds bent back and basically, pulled the mounting tabs on the radiator outwards. Now the shroud bolts to the radiator guard instead so this should eliminate that problem. The black spacer is also discarded so the shrouds are tucked in somewhat closer to the radiator as well.