Sign in to follow this  

Arm pump or something else???????

Ok here it is i'm not sure if what i'm experiencing is arm pump or not. I don't get hard or firm forearms as is what i thought would be a typical symptom. but while i'm riding or racing i push as hard as I can and after about two laps my grip starts to fade.by the end of the third lap i can't hold my lines and i feel the bars starting to wiggle in my hands. by the fourth i feel lucky if i didn't crash and get hurt because i can't hold on anymore.then once I come in to the pits i have trouble taking off my gloves.I consistantly get good start and run with the top 3 guys for the first two laps but then i fade since I can't hang on anymore. I'm fed up with it. i wanna do something about it but i don't know what it is and how I should adddress the issue to correct whats wrong with me any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had this exact same problem. I don't know if it was arm pump so much for me as my forearm muscles running out of juice. It helped immenseley when I hugged the bike more with my legs. It took a little while to get used to, but my hands/wrists don't get weak any more.

I call it hand pump. My forearms have never pumped up. But my hands cramp like hell. I recently just purchased a drink called pumpx. It's supposed to help with arm pump. I'm going to use it for the first time next weekend. I do exercises for arm/hand pump everyday and it's gotten a little better. Best thing you can do is squeeze the crap out of the bike with your legs (it works!)

sounds like carpal tunnel I had the same problem after capral tunnel sugery it went away and grip is no problem,does your fingers tingle?,I also learned to have a softer grip,the death grip will also cause problems.

Welcome to TT, newbie. Try a TT search in this forum on the following words (using the AND option)

open hands

Search back a few months, and you'll get some really good thread hits. Read through those threads to see if they help, and consider also adding hand exercises into your workouts. On my runs, I carry a 4-button Light Tension Gripmaster. That, and learning to balance better and open my hands more pretty much eliminated my "hand pump." -Mike- :cry:

sounds to me like you have a death grip on the bars. You need to relax. you dont want to use the bars to hold up all your weight. if you let go of the bars you should still be able to stand on the bike because you want to be centered. try loosening up your hands a bit. There are plenty of exercises out there to help pump. building stronger hands isnt usually the answer. If youve got an old set of bars or something and an old clutch perch you can rig up some tension with a spring and just watch tv or when your sitting around pull on it for awhile. fast/slow anything it might help to keep them from cramping. there is this one thing we had at the shop, it was a grip with a gyro on the end. you wind up the gyro and just hold the grip. it bounces around a bunch and i didnt feel it really helped but works for some. just remember to stay loose and stretch before your moto and you will notice a world of difference.

hey thanks for the great advice. I'm definetlt going to attempt to relax my grip on the bars and squeeze more with my legs. I thought I was doing this but geuss not. I've purchased this grip strengthening tool from my local wally world and it looks very similar to a grip and clutch/brake it has adjustable tension. So I've been using it like I would when I ride. hopefully all of this will come together and I can get some good results I'll let ya know how I make out.

Be careful about drink'n too much water. Too much water will flush the kidneys and your blood stream of electrolytes. Use "Thermo Tabs" do a Froogle to find them, and drink Gatorade with the ThermoTabs.

But, arm pump is from a Lactic acid build up in the muscle. Right after a moto or when you have to stop because of the pump, have someone massage the forearm and grip and imaginary ball squeezing the air with your arms raised above your head then at your side. Just do this for 5min.s The problem is for the lactic acid to be totally flushed out of the muscle fibers and it takes about 20 min.s