Sign in to follow this  

First scheduled maintenance

Well, I finally bought a new DRZ400S last saturday. I've been eyeing it for awhile now. My question is about the first maintenance at 1000KM. The guy at the dealer says the first service is very important and that I should bring it back to the dealer to have it done. He said that they check the spokes and engine bolts and anything else that might be loose and re-torque them if needed. I just figured the guy was full of it and just wanted the business for their shop. But then later, I was reading the manual and it also saids that the chassis bolts need to be tightened. So I guess my question is, is the first service important enough to spend $130 to have the dealer do it? Or should I just change the oil myself and do a quick check for loose bolts? I've never taking any of my bikes or cars in to regular servicing, but I've never had a bike that had bolts that needed checking either. Any suggestions? :cry:

Your going to have to learn to maintain it for yourself anyway sometime,,,no time like the present to get started...And don't believe everything you read in that manual they have,,,,you should break it in considerably harder than it says, there is a sight floating around here for reading on that and you need to change the oil after your first 20 or 30 miles of use to get all of the schrapnel out as it does a lot of cutting on the cylinders in the first 20 miles. Pull out your tools and get used to it, if you do things yourself you know exactly what was done,,,i have found dealers that aren't fully truthfull with what they did and worse than that fully incompetent dealers that are worthless...roll up your sleeves :cry: :cry:

My dealer used lithium grease on my chain at the first service.

So I paid $120 for first service then had to spend like 2 hours cleaning that [@#$%&*!] off my bike and pants after it took flight.

$120 to check your valve tappet clearance, spark plug, change oil, lube a few parts and jack up your chain.

Do it yourself. :cry:

Your going to have to learn to maintain it for yourself anyway sometime,,,no time like the present to get started...And don't believe everything you read in that manual they have,,,,you should break it in considerably harder than it says, there is a sight floating around here for reading on that and you need to change the oil after your first 20 or 30 miles of use to get all of the schrapnel out as it does a lot of cutting on the cylinders in the first 20 miles. Pull out your tools and get used to it, if you do things yourself you know exactly what was done,,,i have found dealers that aren't fully truthfull with what they did and worse than that fully incompetent dealers that are worthless...roll up your sleeves :cry: :cry:

Oil change after 20-30 miles! Is that common knowledge for DRZ. I've already done 260Km on her. Hope I haven't done too much damage.

I would change it right away,,,,prob no damage but the first couple of oil changes are very important, I was on my third by 200 miles have 500 miles now and am getting ready to change from standard oil to SILKOLENE pro 4 15-50. Full synthetic. Then I expect about every 500 miles to change agian both filter and oil. Bikes are expensive and oil is cheap. :cry: :cry: