New Dirt Bike Warranty

I wanted to run this past you guys and see what your understanding is and experience has been.

I have a new TE510. I have a few small things I wanted my local dealer to look at (a hole has worn in the rear shock guard from the rear tire rubbing it and a minor oil leak exists from the clutch piston housing where it bolts to the left hand engine case by the gear shift lever - see my earlier post) and I was expecting them to be covered under warranty.

When I took the bike in, they showed me a slip of paper from Cagiva that basically stated in black and white that there is no warranty on dirt bikes. They do cover workmanship and part defects for 30 days after the purchase. They cover parts only, not labor.

Is this consistent with your understanding and what you've experienced from your dealers? I realize that some dealers may go the extra mile on customer service and help the customer out but my local dealer isn't willing to do anything for my sake. To them it is all billable work and material. ?

I just wanted to get a feel for what you've experienced and what you think.

ktl...

That is a good question....

I'm not sure, I think it may be different from dealer to dealer. Your rear mud guard is not really a defect. It is wear from having the rear tire to close, or so it seems. The clutch may just be a bad o-ring or it could be a defective part.

Did you make a gearing change after you got the bike or has the tire always hit the mud guard. If the dealer set it up that way, that's who I would want to replace it not Husky.

As far as the clutch, I would change the o-ring out myself and see if that corrected the problem. If it didn't, that when I would talk to the dealer and want them to correct the problem.

brown

That is a good question....

I'm not sure, I think it may be different from dealer to dealer. Your rear mud guard is not really a defect. It is wear from having the rear tire to close, or so it seems. The clutch may just be a bad o-ring or it could be a defective part.

Did you make a gearing change after you got the bike or has the tire always hit the mud guard. If the dealer set it up that way, that's who I would want to replace it not Husky.

As far as the clutch, I would change the o-ring out myself and see if that corrected the problem. If it didn't, that when I would talk to the dealer and want them to correct the problem.

brown

The mud flap was worn in the first ride. I took it straight from the dealer to the ride with no changes.

Thanks for your perspective...

ktl...

Well, my perspective always seems to be different then most everybody else (Ha!Ha!) Sometimes I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

For me, things that small aren't worth my time to take it and get it checkout. I just spend a few dollar and do it myself. In the end I save time and for me it's worth it. Also my dealer isn't close, it about 4 hours away and I'm not driving there unless the engine is in pieces.

brown

Every issue I have had has been dealt with by my (so far) excellent dealer. All work and parts under "his" warranty understanding. I did not need to look at warranty regulations, these guys just approached the issues with common sense and took care of it.

One example: new clutch line because the original one was leaking (I think someone else here had the same/similar ? issue btw). They exchanged it and didn't even flinch. No costs to me.

But then I spend probably a couple of hundered $$ every time I go there, which is twice a month at least ?

Oh, and I do not haggle much for the lowest possible OTD price either. I want the dealer to be happy and make some money so they can make me happy in return. A dealer needs to be "healthy" to provide good services. So far this works excellent for me and my riding buddies (all on KTM, same dealer, same approach)

I am happy with the "Warranty" so far. ?

Talked with my dealer today. They will take care of the oil leak from the clutch housing at no charge. I'm happy with that and can't complain as they are meeting my expectation. They certainly treated me right when I bought the bike and it looks like they will be treating me fair on service. The price was right at $900 off msr, which is a super deal.

Thank you Competition Cycle of Grand Junction, Colorado!

P.S. They have a new '04 TE250 marked down if you know anyone who is looking. PM me for their contact info if interested.

ktl...