Sign in to follow this  

The Taneum Ride - Saturday 9/25/04, The rest of the story/ pictures

What a day for a ride. I knew it was going to be good as I approached Taneum. The sky was blue, the tempurature was right, and the

ground had soaked up the right amount of moisture earlier that week.

Pat arranged the ride and the turnout was great. Thankyou Pat!!! We left camp with 16 riders. Unfortunately Carl hurt his foot pretty

bad and so he and his buddy had to turn back before they really got started. Were pulling for you Carl.

Anyway here is Pat and his boys at the Taneum Junction ready to rock and roll.

Taneum9-25-04_001.jpg

And here is Bob (on the left) and his friend. I would appreciate it if everyone who I don't name gives me their name. I like to put a name

with the pictures but I usually have to ride with a guy for a while before I remember your name. So help me out, OK? Bob and I have ridden

together quite a few times now.

Taneum9-25-04_003.jpg

We finally had the herd all together and we hit the trail (1377) and stopped to talk and let the other riders catch up at I believe the first

or second bridge on 1377. This is a traditional stopping point on our rides.

Taneum9-25-04_005.jpg

We continued on until we came to the Fishhook Flats intersection just off of 1377. This also is a traditional stopping point where the joking

and talk are as it should be. Great company, great ride.

Taneum9-25-04_008.jpg

We decided the next stop would be the Taneum Shelter but it was not to be. A Kawi 400 turned up lame and we needed to fix a flat.

Taneum9-25-04_014.jpg

Now comes the interesting part as everyone stood around watching in awe at the Technical procedure of changing out a bad tube. What

is that black thing in there? Are you sure thats where the air goes? :cry: :cry:

Taneum9-25-04_012.jpg

We still have not figured out the age old question: How many dirt bikers does it take to fix a flat? But we may be getting closer to the

profound answer. More on that in a future post. But we did figure out a bullet proof procedure for ripping the valve stem out of every tube

you put on a bike.

1) Mount a Terra-flex tire on a street rim with no rim-locks installed.

2) Then apply a heavy hand to the throttle causing the tire to spin faster than the rim. There ya have it, valve stem ripped and air all gone.

3) It's best to try this procedure when riding with a large group. Someone is bound to carry a spare tube.

We did get the flat fixed and made it to the Taneum Shelter and from there to Windy Pass. We then rode 1321 to the 1388 intersection.

Here is where the group split up. Nine of us decided to turn back and catch 1321 on the North side of Mt. Clifty.

On a clear day this trail has some of the most beautiful scenery you could ask for. At the Crest of this trail just before it begins decend

you get a great view of Lake CleElum. In this picture a lone rider is awed by the view.

Taneum9-25-04_019.jpg

Taneum9-25-04_021.jpg

As we looked to the South of the trail 1321, Mt. Rainier was breath taking.

Taneum9-25-04_024.jpg

Taneum9-25-04_028.jpg

We decided this was a good spot to stop and eat lunch. After lunch I took some group shots. You will notice that in some of the pictures

you can't really make out the faces due to shadowing. The sun was wrong for taking a picture of the guys with Mt. Rainier as a back drop

but when I put the sun to my back you easily make the guys faces out.

Taneum9-25-04_037.jpg

Taneum9-25-04_031.jpg

After lunch and the photo session we resumed our adventure. We took 1321 to 1321.2. I have never been on 1321.2 before and I did not

know that is was the Greek Creek trail. I had been told horror stories about the Greek Creek Trail. You know the kind of stories where some

guys never came back and they found their rusted bikes and bones years later. Well maybe that's an exaggeration. I was told it may take

hours to get out of there if you drop down in. Needless to say I have stayed away from Greek Creek because of those stories. But when

Jeremy said 1321.2 I said "great, I've never done that trail lets go for it". After we were commited and had dropped 2/3 down one side we

met some riders coming up. I made a comment to the effect that I hoped this was not the Greek Creek trail and then I found out the truth.

IT WAS!!! Now my mind was racing and I was wondering what I got myself into. I kept waiting for it to turn really ugly. It was definately

technical and you had to work but nothing like what my mind had conjured up. I would do it again.

Here are the guys resting after completing 3/4s of the Greek Creek trail. It was a workout.

Taneum9-25-04_039.jpg

We finally made it to the top where 1321.2 meets 1388 and the blaze ridge trails. We had gone 22 miles but it felt like a lot more.

Taneum9-25-04_041.jpg

Taneum9-25-04_044.jpg

We were 20+ miles away from camp and guess what? Yep, the infamous Mr. Terraflex was going flat a second time. Here he is frantically

pumping up his tire which read zero pounds pressure on the air guage.

Taneum9-25-04_043.jpg

What a great ride. We all made it back to camp. We all can say we did the Greek Creek trail. Thanks for the fun day guys. I hope to ride

with you again. Just remember to put the rim-locks on that Terra-flex.

Couldn't find you guys?

I found a group from KTM talk but couldn't find many TT'ers. I asked a couple of different groups and the closest I came was some loud mouth old guy, "Thumpertalk! Thumpertalk!!!" Whatever.

My neighbor and I rode from about 9:30 a.m. until 4:00. Trails were perfect and we had a great time. Turns out we had parked by some TT'ers I met at the Husky open house ride the previous weekend but they had not heard about this organized ride.

Hope to hook up with you next time.

Greg

Can you tell me more about this place? I think I've snowmobiled there a couple of times but everything looks different when there is snow on the ground. How many miles are there of trails? Is there a way I could get a map of the area? I'm trying to find areas that aren't very far away for "little get aways" Thanks! Great pics too! :cry:

Couldn't find you guys?

I found a group from KTM talk but couldn't find many TT'ers. I asked a couple of different groups and the closest I came was some loud mouth old guy, "Thumpertalk! Thumpertalk!!!" Whatever.

My neighbor and I rode from about 9:30 a.m. until 4:00. Trails were perfect and we had a great time. Turns out we had parked by some TT'ers I met at the Husky open house ride the previous weekend but they had not heard about this organized ride.

Greg

Hey man, I am on KTMtalk and ThumperTalk. We were riding with guys from both lists. You wouldn't be the guy I gave a map of the area to would ya? Anyone in the parking lot was welcome to ride with us. We love the company. :cry:

Can you tell me more about this place? I think I've snowmobiled there a couple of times but everything looks different when there is snow on the ground. How many miles are there of trails? Is there a way I could get a map of the area? I'm trying to find areas that aren't very far away for "little get aways" Thanks! Great pics too! :cry:

Yes the snowmobiles use this area. I don't know how many of these trails could actually handle a snowmobile but the logging roads certainly do. In the spring when the snows are still on the trails up high we can see where the snowmobiles were riding. There are over 150 miles of trails when you include the Naches system which connects to the Taneum/Manastash system.

I'm out of snowmobiling now. I have a 10 year old that loves dirt bikes so I'm selling the sleds to support him. Going to buy some dirt bikes and get him involved. I was wondering how many trails were up there when the snow isn't there? I would like to camp out and ride there with my boy. Thanks in advance! :cry:

Couldn't find you guys?

Greg

Hey man, I am on KTMtalk and ThumperTalk. We were riding with guys from both lists. You wouldn't be the guy I gave a map of the area to would ya? Anyone in the parking lot was welcome to ride with us. We love the company. :cry:

OMT,

The only map I picked up was from the ranger guy. A small black and white photocopy that served its purpose. I was easy to spot as I was the only guy there on a Husky four stroke.

Greg

Greg, I was there at 9:00. I parked in the back parking lot next to the rest-room. Older Red Toyota Pickup with a aluminum snowmobile ramp chained to the back. I was riding my 525EXC. The ride was put together on KTMtalk by Pat who rides a Kawi, but as said before open to all. If you ever see us there your welcome to ride with us.