Sign in to follow this  

anyone have problems using two master links

I currently have a 51 tooth sprocket and x-ring chain. I plan to buy a 52 tooth sprocket for the occasional trail rides in the really tight stuff. I am thinking of adding a second master link along with the leftover links of my x-ring chain (bought a 120 link and cut down to 114 link) to use for this. anyone ever have any problems with this kind of setup??

My bike was setup that way when I bought it, I have had no problems with the chain. You may have enough slack to just slide the axle forward for only a 1 tooth bigger rear sprocket. I would try that first, a 2nd master link is only another possible point of failure.

I was just reading the info that came with my D.I.D. X-Ring chain. It says the master link is as strong as the other links. And besides, a chain is only as strong as the weakest link. The only draw back I can see is that with two master links, your chances of the clip coming off is twice as high. But, I don't hear about that many master's losing the clips anyway. I don't think you'll have a problem with it.

I think you will have enough adjustment in the chain to not have to add links for one extra tooth on the rear sprocket. I have gone from a 48 to a 50 and back without having to add links. As long as the adjusters are not all the way forward with the 50 you should be able to accomodate the 51.

Oh, and I forgot to add: Did you have to really force that master link together when you put it on the bike??? My new one looks like it is gonna take some channel locks or a vice, to get the pins through the holes far enough to slip the clip on. Are they supposed to be this tight? :cry:

Durkot, I am pretty sure that when I switched from a stock 50 to a 51 that I used the same chain length. I am pretty sure that I wont be able to jump 2 teeth with the same chain length.

i think I will try the two master links, its a lot cheaper than another chain and it doesnt sound like those that have done it are having a problem

I run 2 master and have no problems. I went the route of using the vice grips to get the link together. I find it easier if you put the link together once with the o-rings while the chain is off the bike, take it apart and reassemble on the bike. It seems to go together better the 2nd time.

Durkot, I am pretty sure that when I switched from a stock 50 to a 51 that I used the same chain length. I am pretty sure that I wont be able to jump 2 teeth with the same chain length.

When I went to a 51 tooth rear (1 tooth up) I should've added links to the chain. As it is now, my rear wheel is adjusted all the way forward for proper chain tension. You'll definitely need to add links for 2 teeth up.

you could even add a pressed link connector...although you will need to buy another tool in order to put that one on :cry:

I do too on ocassion my chain supplier gives it to me in 10 ft lengths,takes aprox 6ft of chain,so I have 4ft of new chain left ,so every other chain has two M links,no problems here either.