Sign in to follow this  

Shockdoc fork mods? Anyone try it? Harsh forks!

I am trying to increase the plushness of the forks on my RMZ250. I changed the fork springs and shock spring for my weight. I was thinking about trying the modification described by Shockdoc here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1267553/Main/1248990#Post1267553

About removing the washers and spring. Has anyone else done this? Is it very easy to do??

What weight fork oil and what level is stock? Any help would be appreciated. I ride enduros and would really like plusher forks.

John

Bump

I have the very same request. Mainly regarding the fork oil level.

Joe

when you say plusher..... its really hard to know what you mean when you say plush... try 5wt (motorex prefered) and 510cc in each tube (will warn you niether tubes are machined the same so oil levels might be off, so set one at 500 and measure with motion pro fork oil guage and set the other up the same hieght).... start at stock comp/reb. if they feel a lil stiff.... drain it to 500.... try that see if it is plusher .... dont go lower than the book recommends... then play with compression... then rebound...... if nothing helps... well I would recommend havin them revalved by a racetech professional. Or if you can find a company that makes a stack you can just put in like a company does for street bikes and go that route you might be better off..

So are you saying that after disabling the chamber we can run stock oil levels/amounts.?

Before you go changing much, turn both the compression and rebound clickers out 17 clicks and give the bike a spin. Turn the clickers in (clockwise) until seated, then back them out (counterclockwise) 17 clicks. Try it. Try some slow turns and let me know what you think. It made a HUGE difference on mine. I couldn't turn into corners on my KXF and the front end was super sketchy, especially on the slippery choppy stuff. With the clickers 17 clicks out, at least on mine, it was like I was riding a different bike. Try it before getting into the internals. It's cheap, quick, and you might start to really like the way the forks work and how the bike feels really solid turning into corners. You'll probably click in to about 16 or 15, but try 17. Then let us know what you think.

The manual says....

2004 KXF250

Front Fork Oil Level (fully compressed, without spring)

Standard: 95mm (3.7in.)

Adjustable Range 70 ~ 120mm (2.8~4.7in.)

Recommended Fork Oil: Kayaba 01 or SAE 5W

I used the Pro Honda HP Fork Oil 5w, which is approved for

Showa and KYB inverted forks, running at 95mm, the stock level, with comp. and reb. clickers at 17. This seemed to be a good starting point. Left the oil level stock 95mm, then adjust the clickers depending on the track\terrain.)

I currently have my compression as soft as possible on both front and rear. I'm not sure where the rebound is exactly but is is not at stock settings. I'll update that tomorrow.

I ride woods exclusively and find this works,,,,so far,but if disabling the blader will make the forks respond better over roots,rocks etc I'd like to give it a go.

I'm riding tomorrow so I will try your settings.

I do want to try disabling the bladder for experimental purposes at some point before the snow flies and would like to have the fork levels set correct. It's been said to set them as if they were non-blader forks. Is this different from what the manual recommends?? This is where I'm puzzled.

Joe