Sign in to follow this  

Is being on the shoulder of the road....

with a dirtbike still considered riding on the road?? I got caught by an officer riding on the edge of the road 200 feet to a trail. (yes I addmit it, I was on the road) He told my dad while I was out riding and when I got home then my dad started talking to me about it and said the officer thought I was running from him when I got on the trail. Now dads telling me that I have to push my bike 200 feet to the trail! And I thought that I could ride on the shoulder ( in the grass) next to the road. Is it still illegal to do that?? I'm kinda pissed off right now that I have to push it. :cry: :cry:

God I'm so nervous now that he might come back looking for me. :cry: I have never delt with an officer.

many places, that is still considered being on the road, particularly in california. here in nevada, no one really cares too much and there are some well burned-in atv trails that parallel the hiway coming into town. your best bet is to do what your dad says. 200 yards isn't far. you can always leave the engine running and use the clutch to make the bike walk itself. you still have to walk then, but at least you don't have to push.

mw

Hey, I have to drive nearly an hour to get to a trail... push it the 200 ft and quit yer belly achin'! :cry: It'll keep the cops & your dad happy, & doesn't sound that bad to me! :cry:

Buy a street legal bike or get to pushin'. How long can it possibly take to push a bike 200 feet?? :cry:

I don't know the laws of your state, but here the road isn't just the paved surface. It is the entire easement area, which includes the shoulders and the swales (drainage ditches) and the area where the armco barricades are. If you are behind the armco, you're probably OK, though. Larry

First off pushing your bike 200 ft will help get you in shape to be the next Bob Hannah (Ricky Hansen, James Charmical, Chad Stewart, who ever,,,,,, :cry:

Next. I had a similair situation when I was younger, riding on the shoulder. Cop gave me a ticket for wrong lane usage, I got a cheap lawyer and it was thrown out after lawyer out smarted copper.

After that I would have to push my bike about 1/2 mile to where I could actually ride and get to where I was going, no $h!t.

I know it sucks, but your best option right now is -> Push It. :cry:

Ok ok I'll push, man they'v really gotten stricked on dirtbikes and quads, things have really changed fast since some stupid kids rushed out into road without looking and then got hit. No body used to care about quads or bikes being in the road, but after 5 deaths on them this year people have gotten peranoid about them, and I'v also been hearing alot more complaints on the scanner.

back before i got really into moto a few years back i had to push my bike up hill like 1/2 mile.....that was the deal i had with the cops and dad to ride out there, the cops let me ride out there as long as i agreed to roost people dumping trash :cry:

back before i got really into moto a few years back i had to push my bike up hill like 1/2 mile.....that was the deal i had with the cops and dad to ride out there, the cops let me ride out there as long as i agreed to roost people dumping trash :cry:

Haha thats funny!

Well, back when I was a youngster like yourself I had to push my bike 2 miles through the snow uphill both ways with no shoes on... 200 feet doesn't sound too bad.

Well, back when I was a youngster like yourself I had to push my bike 2 miles through the snow uphill both ways with no shoes on... 200 feet doesn't sound too bad.

Why would you have no shoes on? :cry:

Damn, you beat me to it. :cry: :cry:

200 yards isn't far. you can always leave the engine running and use the clutch to make the bike walk itself. you still have to walk then, but at least you don't have to push.

mw

Yeah dude, just suck it up. You could alternatively stand on one of the pegs and lean inward and then let the bike do all the work, and if the officer arrives you can just jump off quickly :cry:

200 yards isn't far. you can always leave the engine running and use the clutch to make the bike walk itself. you still have to walk then, but at least you don't have to push.

mw

Yeah dude, just suck it up. You could alternatively stand on one of the pegs and lean inward and then let the bike do all the work, and if the officer arrives you can just jump off quickly :cry:

good idea,

i ride on the side of the road down here, got pulled over by a cop once and he just explained to me that as long as i ride on the gravel on the side of the road then im fine. :cry:

My son had a similar experience. Cop pulled him over to tell him to ride further away from the road and not so close to the pavement. Around here we have BLOCKS and BLOCKS of desert in the middle of town and you can USUALLY get away with riding on the easement to get from desert patch to desert patch until you finally hit the whole desert....unless ya piss 'em off!

You think that's bad? In my day we didn't have bikes, just rocks! We had to push rocks uphill just so we could ride them down.

One more thing, what'sa shoe? :cry: :cry: :cry:

When I was a teenager... I had to push my bike 5 miles in the snow, uphill both ways. Quit your bitchin'. I can run a bike 200 feet in less than a minute, suck it up and play by the rules.

This brings back memories for me when I was just a little turd running around on my bike.

When I was a little guy, I used to ride my Indian 50cc automatic all over the neighborhood on the sidewalks and never got in trouble.

As I got older, with bigger bike, we ventured further and further away, I recall we had to push the bikes down the street a good mile or so until we reached the riding area. Instead of pushing we would start the bikes and then side saddle them as we rode very slowly down the road. Why we thought this was ok is beyond me but we never did get hassled. I believe our theory was if the cops start coming down the street we would hop off and act like we were pushing :cry:

Fryboy

Back in the days, I had to steal music by recording it from the radio with the DJ talking!

You kids got it made with mp3's

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet--we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damned library and look it up ourselves (which meant you had to know how to read, and use the card index system just to find the darn book that "MIGHT" have the info you needed in it.)! And there was no email!

And sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 20 channels and there was no onscreen menu! You had to use a little book! called a TV Guide to find out what was on! And there was no Cartoon Network! You could only get cartoons on Saturday morning... ...D'ya hear what the [@#$%&*!] I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK, you spoiled little bastards! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy You're spoiled, I swear to God! You guys wouldn't last five minutes back in 1984!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I used to ride my Indian 50cc automatic all over the neighborhood on the sidewalks and never got in trouble.

As I got older, with bigger bike, we ventured further and further away, I recall we had to push the bikes down the street a good mile or so until we reached the riding area. Instead of pushing we would start the bikes and then side saddle them as we rode very slowly down the road. Why we thought this was ok is beyond me but we never did get hassled. I believe our theory was if the cops start coming down the street we would hop off and act like we were pushing :cry:

Fryboy

I did the same to get to a riding area when I lived downtown (in a small town). But the riding area was probably two miles away and partly downhill.. I usually coasted downhill on the sidewalks and on the way back I had to push uphills a ways (though I usually clicked it up in 4th and torqued up the hill quietly). I'm sure I got some strange looks but I didn't care, I knew I was going to have a great time riding while they went home to watch Knight Rider or whatever.