Sign in to follow this  

450 EXC-R Service Requirements?

I've just purchased a second hand 2004 450 EXC-R. Got it for a pretty good price from a local Honda dealer who just wanted to clear the trade. There is no local KTM dealer (strange place New Zealand).

I know that it has done some motorcross work, but it has not had an hour meter or speedo fitted, so I don't know how much work it has done.It runs well and the oil and airfilter look like they have had the necessary love and attention.

What I am trying to determine is what do I need to look for motor-wise.

Are there any "must dos" that the bike will most likely need, especially if the consequence of not doing it will be expensive.

Thanks

Matt

I'd adjust the valves right away just to baseline it. Not much other than that. If it overheats, the jetting will need to be adjusted.

None of the above on an 04 450E unless it was raced hard and not taken care of. You might want to R&R the cam bearings in your off season (see my how-to on that at the 2nd link under my email address in this post) just to be safe. They're really very reliable bikes. The occasional fork or water pump seal goes out.