Wrecked 250F,need opinions on handelbars now.

Alright, so my friend's dad traded in his TT-R 225 and with a little extra cash picked up a 04 leftover YZ250F.

ITS A BEAST. Coming from a Raptor and not ridden a dirtbike bigger than a RT 180 2 smoke, it deffinately has the power.

Anyways back on topic, so his dad takes about 5 laps and is just getting used to the bike and in rythm and everything when he gets hit by a rock in the chest protector. The rock was pretty big and he said it was kicked up by a YZ450F. It knocked him off the bike and the bike fell down and bent the bars.

So now what? I bought TAG's for my Raptor and I like them. What is good for a dirtbike? Im thinking either protaper or TAG for him. What is a bend that is close to stock but more comfortable? Should he stick to stock 7/8 or does clamps and bigger bars make a big difference?

Sorry for so many nembie questions, just want to help my friend's dad out so he will let me ride his bike more often. ?

If you get tag or pro tapers you need to buy a bigger top triple clamp wich is about 230$ plus the 80$ bar! I would say get the Renthal YZ bend. They are fairly similar to stock. I have them on my bike after I crashed and bent my stock ones. It only took me about 30min to get used to them. I think the renthal bars run around 75$ or 80$, but you don't need a new tripple clamp for them. They are also really strong. I have crashed pretty hard pretty fast a couple of times and they arn't even slightly bent.

Thanks everyone for replying fast and helping out. ?

I called him up and told him that the Renthal YZ bend is what he should get and I told him why, and he said that its fine he is just going to bend his stock bars back. I was like. ??

Anyways I then went on to tell him there just going to bend again and ruin another day at the track for ya. So he is considering it now and checking around for prices. I told him he should buy some off the store here but he insists on searching around first.

But thanks for the help everyone. ?

I can see an argument for getting bigger bars (so they don't bend). What worries me about this line of thought is this: if the fat bars are absorbing more force and not bending, isn't that force getting transferred to other parts of the motorcycle, parts that are more expensive to replace than a set of bars?

I see my Pro Taper SE (7/8") aluminum bars as lighter-than-OEM frame sliders. =) Hopefully my steering head bearings, steering stops, etc. will thank me in the long run.

I would go with renthal Fat Bars or the Pro Tapers. The bars will run about $70 to $80 bucks then you will need a bar adaptor to allow for the fat bars to be mounted on the stock triple clamp. The adapter will run between $40 and $60 bucks. This will also raise the handle bar height by about 1 inch as well. Personally I ride tight woods and single track so I am standing most of the time. This set up works well for me (5'11" 190 lbs) ? If he finds himself stooped over and crouched in the riders compartment this may help with body positioning as well. You do not need to buy a new triple clamp...but it would be nice!!

Do NOT straighten the old bars and re-mount them ?... they are bent and structurally not sound. They could break out on a long ride and then you will be a long way from having fun. I run the Fat Bars with a Tusk adapter I picked the whole thing up from Rocky Mountain MC for around $100 bucks. If you end up putting a barkbuster on the new set up make sure you get the adaptor for the bars you run. ?

I recently owned a pair of ProTaper SE 7/8th inch bars...didn't need new triple clamps, and they are supposed to be as strong as Renthals (actually stronger) for less money (about $10)...I loved them, very stiff, good looking and I wrecked them a few times and they never bent, even though I have bent renthals in sissy crashes....just make sure you get soft grips becuase the bars are hard...

a rock knocked him off the bike? ?

Not literally, but it was a pretty big rock and it smacked him right in the chest protector right when he was exiting a berm. He then lost controland tried to correct but fell over/ off.

Keep in mind he is coming from a TT-R 225, and is not the greatest rider. Also he was on his 5th lap or so on the bike and the bike only has about a half an hour on it. He is still learning and when a rock is thrown at you, let alone, hits you when your on a new bike you loose control.

Back on topic now, hmmm, the pro taper SE sounds apealing, might have to tell him about those too.

Once again thanks.