Sign in to follow this  

96 PW 80 lots of trouble with pistons

96 PW 80 I've put two pistons + bored out twice and then new rings because I caught it before the piston rakes the cylinder wall. This is only after about 10 hours or less of riding (7year old),I may not be putting it together right but I do hone out the jug. the rings always seem to be getting stuck and the piston hits the jug wall. Or the rings seem to be gettting shaved off on the exhaust port, That side of the rings get very thin .

Bel-ray oil mixed 50-1

Where is your ring end gap? Do you set it away from the ports?

EDIT: Do you pre mix, or is it injected?

I premix, I took off the injector

I put the ring end gaps on top away from the exhaust port.

It s like the rings are sticking. I was thinking about rounding off the exhaust port edge stop me if I'm rong jut knocking the edge off so slightly.

put the ring end gaps on top away from the exhaust port.

It s like the rings are sticking. I was thinking about rounding off the exhaust port edge stop me if I'm rong jut knocking the edge off so slightly.

You have to take the edge off the all ports after boring

a 2 stroke to keep the rings from getting hung up.

Make sure it getting oil too,

Use your dremmel drill on the ports. Be careful. Just take the sharp edge off and then you should be good to go. :cry:

If you're really worried about it, buy a new jug. PN is 18E-11311-00-00 and it's only $150 from cycle-parts.com. Could seem like a lot of money at first, but at least you'll know you've got a perfect cylinder. I bought a carb from them for my BW80 and liked the service.