Sign in to follow this  

Putting in a Hot Cam for my ttr125

Hey does ne body know the procedure for puttin in a Hot Cam for the ttr? is it easier to just take the whole motor out or just take the head off rite from the bike? :cry:

Just take off the head and pull out the old cam and put the new hotcam in.Then reset the timing and bolt it back up and enjoy the new power.

You don't need to remove the head.

The old cam comes out the side of the head and the new one goes in.

It helps to remove the rocker shafts and the rockers.

Make sure you put it back together with the cam timing correct!

:cry: that doesnt sound rite... they just dont send the cam..they send the cam and the camshaft so you would have to take the head off...besides thats too tight to change it with just the cam cover off...what about the chain? :cry:

:cry: that doesnt sound rite... they just dont send the cam..they send the cam and the camshaft

The camshaft IS the cam ! The HotCams come with the cam & bearing only. And YES you can change it out with the motor in the frame & with the head on !

After you find top dead center and get everything aligned, take a sharpie (permanent marker) and mark a cam chain link and the cam gear tooth it engages. It takes all the guesswork out of the re-install when the chain tensioner is off and there is slack in the chain. Just a suggestion. It worked for me.

I changed mine out a couple of weeks ago with the motor in the frame and the rockers still in. Someone posted something a while back about pushing down on the rocker arms and valves to get the rockers out of the way. It worked great, it took me about 1 hour to swap the cam out and have it running again.

However, I am a skilled mechanic. If you have not worked on 4 stroke top ends before, trying to change out and time a cam might be risky. You might want to find someone to do it for you, or help you. Just be sure you don't try it without at least having the manual to refer to.

Good luck.