Sign in to follow this  

my plug...good or lean??

WEll i know my pictures are not clear but from what you see is it fine?

i had my settings at 45 pilot, 132 main, power up needle in the 4th and 1.75 tunrs out and it was WHITE. turned it out to 2.25 and this is what i get now...one day it will look black and one day white...but it looks like this now.

you cant see it but really its like white mixed with a little borwn in SOME SPOTS. On the one side there is a little blotch thats about the color of a brown marker...darker then cardboard almost. Then directly across from it its almost white.

The threads are black as well as the bottom metal peice...(not that bridge)

f6db6cae.jpgf6db6cae.jpgf6db6cba.jpg

Is the bike running really good ?? If it is, then quit messing with it and enjoy riding it. Don't place any emphasis on the color of your plug....There are too many other variables out of your control to be concerned with how your plug colors. You have the correct jetting, so go out and put some miles on it and don't worry!! It's plenty safe.....

WEll i know my pictures are not clear but from what you see is it fine?

i had my settings at 45 pilot, 132 main, power up needle in the 4th and 1.75 tunrs out and it was WHITE. turned it out to 2.25 and this is what i get now...one day it will look black and one day white...but it looks like this now.

you cant see it but really its like white mixed with a little borwn in SOME SPOTS. On the one side there is a little blotch thats about the color of a brown marker...darker then cardboard almost. Then directly across from it its almost white.

The threads are black as well as the bottom metal peice...(not that bridge)

f6db6cae.jpgf6db6cae.jpgf6db6cba.jpg

I cant see the pictures, but from what you're describing, your jetting should be there. Pulling the plug is just another quick way to check and see if you're in the ballpark. You shouldn't totally rely on the plug. The best way to get it on the dot is go in with the fuel screw till it runs rough, then out the other way till it runs rough. Count the turns from rough to rough, then divide by two. Then go that number of turns to the middle to get the jetting just on the dot. Checking the plug just helps you out to let you know that you're in the ballpark.

Also, it could be that one day it was hotter/humid while the other day was colder/dry. The engine temp may also contribute to the plug being a different color...

Each of the jets and needles effect your air/fuel mixture at different throttle settings. You could be getting 'mixed' colors because some of your carburetor settings are correct while others are incorrect.

To really trust the color, you need to run the engine at one throttle setting and then check the plug. Repeat for various throttle settings. This way you can zero in on what is right and what is wrong - but it takes time and several new plugs.

Here is a good tutorial on carburetors:

http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/mcycle/carb101/carb101.html

If you don't want to go to all that effort, just ride and have fun and make a note of any rough spots in your engines performance. If you repeatedly find some poor engine performance at certain throttle positions, you can use that carburetor theory to help you make some final adjustments.