Sign in to follow this  

Motovation

How Can Guys stay motivated enough to work out to be or get in exellent shape to Race? I find it very hard. Any help?

Do you have a competative mind??. if you want to win you'll do anything available to you in order to win??. No problem!. Maybe your just not that motivated?, that does'nt mean you can't have fun riding or racing. I won alot of trophys riding MX:(when I was young). But! when I did'nt have the motivation??, (to many injuries). I had a blast racing hare scrambles.(Dist.37). Not to many trophys but plenty of fun. Then enduoros, pretty good sucsess there!!. Nowadays I ride a select few races but one thing has not changed!!!. I do it because I enjoy it!!. Unless you think your the next Bubba Stewart??. Ride for yourself and do the best you can,+ don't forget to have fun. For most of us that,s what it's all about. :cry: :cry:

Set small goals...what do you wanna accomplish or what do you want from motocross? Be realistic with your goals. If your having trouble getting yourself to work out try starting small. Do push ups everyday...squats...bicep curls etc etc. Do one exercise you think will help you with MX. Once you know you can handle that add something else. If you try and do a full workout, it can get overwhelming very quickly.

How Can Guys stay motivated enough to work out to be or get in exellent shape to Race? I find it very hard. Any help?

Gettin' smoked all the time usually does it for most people! Seriously though, if all you want is to ride, race and have fun, why worry? The competitive drive is very strong in most racers, but talent and determination only go so far in the road to success. At some point in anyone's riding life, physical conditioning (or the lack of it) has made a direct impact on their results.

I don't know you at all, but if you want better results, if you have racing goals, no matter how big or small the target, being in the best condition possible will be a major part of your happiness.

All i do to train for moto is ride 2-3 times a week: ride my bicycle: run a few miles a couple times a week, and then do excersizes like pushups, knee bends after my run.

it helps a LOT especialy when you run longer motos....my motovation is the weeks i dont do it i feel it during the race and get mad at myself.

but motocross for me is the most fun thing in the world so i have plenty of motovation and when its not fun anymore i am going to quit

Dude, that is a deep subject and not knowing you or your situation it would take a novel to explain but I’ll try to give you a few tips as some other TTtalkers have, and have done a good job if I don’t say so myself. Well here goes my advice. Try looking at it this way, Everything us humans do in life comes down to our need to avoid pain and our desire to gain pleasure, both are biologically driven and constitute the controlling force in our lives. Can you prove that this pain and pleasure theory is not true? Try to think of any other reason that causes people to act and you’ll find that the bottom line comes down to our need to avoid pain and our desire to gain pleasure. We will do far more to avoid pain than we will to gain pleasure, pain is the greater motivator.

Once you understand and accept these facts the point here is to take control over these two powerful motivating factors and use them to motivate yourself to get what you really want in life and not let them randomly motivate you in the wrong direction.

This is more complicated then it may at first seem. We’re not just talking about the simple immediate things that would obviously cause a person experience pain or pleasure. Like putting your hand on a hot stove or having the pleasure of being on the receiving end of a relaxing message by a favorable partner. There are some other important factors that come into play like focus and belief, and the differences between instant gratification and longer term pleasures and pains.

This example will get my point across more clearly. Let’s say that a certain pro is doing pretty well in the Nationals for his first year, say consistent top 20 finishes. Let’s say he has the typical problem of not being in good enough shape. He could be doing better but he gets tired after the half way point and fades. Obviously he needs a better diet and training habits, but during the week when he should be training he focuses on how training is painful. In his gut feelings he believes that training is painful. This guy needs to change what he is focusing his attention on and what he is allowing himself to believe. Instead of focusing his attention on how training at that moment will be painful, he should be focusing his attention on how not training will be way more painful. He should reprogram his beliefs to truly believe that training at that moment will bring him a lot of pleasure and help him to avoid pain by focusing his attention on how painful it will be when he gets tired and fades behind in the races. How getting tried and being in not good enough shape will cause him to not have good sponsors and be paid lots of money to race, loose his ride and have to go to work doing something that he hates to do and so on. This is just one simple, quick example on how changing your focus and beliefs will cause you to use the two greatest motivators of pain and pleasure to motive you in a positive direction instead of letting pain and pleasure motive you down the wrong path.

Beware of the instant gratifiers. Keep your focus and beliefs aimed down the road, toward the long run. When you have the erg to have a nice big bowl of ice cream, don’t focus and believe on how eating that ice cream is going to give you instant pleasure. Instead focus and believe on how eating that ice cream is going to overload your body with sugar and make you tried and out of shape. How it’s going to make it more difficult for you to reach your ultimate goals. When you truly focus on and believe this you won’t even want the ice cream. But if you don’t focus on and believe this it’s already too late. You’re going to want the ice cream and it’s just going to be a matter of time before the ice cream wins out. Hey, by the way, I’m not down on ice cream. It’s okay once in a while. I’m just using this example for diet which applies to all good and bad foods that you should or should not be eating. The same goes for all motivating and non-motivating factors in your life. The point is to control your focus and beliefs. Keep them on the major things that are really worth wild and don’t get side tracked into the minor things that are here and gone in an instant.

Remember that you can reach any realistic goals that you really, really want. If you want it bad enough, you’re willing to do whatever it takes, and you apply yourself 100%, you can do it. Remember this saying. A truly strong desire is like the desire that a drowning man has for a breath of air or like the desert lost man has for a drink of water. One thing that you may have to learn to do well in order to reach your ultimate goals is to take control and use your own mind more effectively. Wow, that was almost a novel I hope it helps.

:lol::cry: :cry: :cry::lol::cry: :cry:

After reading what Gary posted I want to go and workout! Great topic and great replies everyone. I didn't know I needed this untill I read it! Bravo... :cry: :cry: :cry::cry:

Gary has made a very profound post here. Pretty deep stuff. I myself have so much motivation for this sport. I do eat right and work out myself just because I want to improve. I don't race but you know what. I beleive I do have the motivation to race if I do decide to go down that road. It's there. I've seen myself with that kind of desire to beat others and be aggresive on the track. Problem is, I have to get much better than I am now. Thats part of my motivation as well. I just have to try and pursue it someday. :cry:

Thanks Gary! :cry:

I've got a few quoations that always seem to help me keep going. Here they are....

You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good.

Nobody's a natural. You work hard to get good and then work hard to get better.

Muhammed Ali

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision.

The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential ... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.

If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results.

Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek.

:thumbsup:good luck!

:cry:

The only thing that I can add is that there are some really good, focused motivational pieces in Gary's "Motocross Practice Manual, The 47 Absolute Techniques of Motocross". There's one motivational piece for each of the 47 techniques, and if those don't get you motivated, nothing will. It's only $15, and well worth it. It's a great summary of the techniques, and a quick read (and re-read). Click through the GSMXS banner at the top of this TT page so that TT gets credit for sending you there. The MX Practice Manual is at the bottom of the videos page. -Mike- :cry:

Yea, good stuff, I like motivational saying like that. The following one below is one that I've liked ever since I first read it back in about 1992. One of the years I was training McGrath I made a copy of it and put Jeremy's picture on it, then I put it on his bathroom wall where he would see it everyday.

Winners and losers, successes and failures are nothing new. It's been going on since the beginning of mankind. It just seems new to each new generation. But the underlining laws are etched in granite and are always the same. Learn them now before life teaches you the hard way. If you’re not self motivated and design your own life, life will design it for you, like it or not. The following message is from one all time famous leader.

DESIRE- "This force, which is the best thing in you, your highest self, will never respond to any ordinary half hearted call, or any milk and water endeavor. It can only be reached by your supremest call, your supremest effort. It will respond only to the call that is backed up by the whole of you, not part of you; you must be all there in what you are trying to do. You must bring every particle of your energy, unswervable resolution, your best efforts, your persistent industry to your task or the best will not come out of you. You must back up your ambition by your whole nature, by unbounded enthusiasm and a determination to win which knows no failure.... Only a mastery call, a masterly will, a supreme effort, intense and persistent application, can unlock the door to your inner treasure and release your highest powers". (Orison Swett Marden)

PS Everytime I read that I get chills throughout my entire body. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks guys for all the posts. This has made me look at things different. I am ready to set goals and acheive. Thanks again :cry: