Sign in to follow this  

2-wheel drive any good for SM???

The new PRODUCTION YZ450 2-trac (France only :cry:) gives 20% power to the front wheel when the rear is slipping.

So if you're hacked up sideways, sounds like the front wheel might click on and pull you through the corner? Should get you on the gas earlier, and more speed on the straights? Could this be the next big thin in Supermoto? :cry:

Click Here for Yamaha 2-Trac 450 Page

With the additional 7kg, the system adds to the bike, is there a substantial power loss? (Hydrualic pumps consume power to the point of inefficency, no?) On the other hand, the added weight to the lower front end will increase traction, yes!!

Might be an advantage in off-road racing, especially in the sand (Paris-Dakar Rally). In Supermoto racing, they are not overpowering the rear tire enough to offset the weight and friction penalties of the system, IMHO.

A friend of mine inquired about bringing over a 2WD YZF for Del Mar but apparently it is not AMA legal... too much of a traction advantage in the dirt section.

i don't like the idea of it. surely it's taking some of the skill out of riding a motorcycle?!

Seems like lap times would be faster with the 2wd.

I know its not exactly the same but Audi dominates

road racing so much with thier 4wd they give them weight penalties.

I welcome any new technology and would buy a 2wd bike in the future.

Maybe the AMA will just have to add a new class for them...?

Good point about the back not being overpowered, also the extra weight

of the front drive system seems like a wash with the extra traction.

Do you know that the first two wheel drive bike was a supermoto? Is kind alike quiz... find it or ill post later the answer with some pictures... Made in France that is just one hint :cry: :cry:

the "Savare" bike ?

With CR500 or Husky 4str engine.Won Mettet once ,I think with L. Pidoux onboard.

Do you know that the first two wheel drive bike was a supermoto? Is kind alike quiz... find it or ill post later the answer with some pictures... Made in France that is just one hint :cry: :cry:

Not a SM and not French. http://www.motobykz.co.uk/2x2/2x2_History.htm

Cool link thanks. :cry: :cry:

Dont think I would buy a bike named "Coma"...

1991 Damian 'Coma'- used small Suzuki motor and a very unusual fabricated aluminium front end.

It uses 3 chains to drive the front wheel.

One thing to remember as well is that the 2wd system will also add more weight, and unsprung weight for that matter, which will make the suspension work a bit worse because of the extra intertia to deal with. They did some tests with the 2wd system on a R1 as well and found minimal benefit in the dry, although aparently in the wet it made quite an improvement. Wait until the unit weight comes down substantially, which can only be a matter of time.

AFAIK, KTM is also working on a comparable system.