Sign in to follow this  

Gorman trail ride!

Just got back from a weekend of riding in Gorman, Ca.(Hungry Valley SVRA) Put in @120 miles of highly technical trail riding, mostly in the Los Padres National Forest adjacent to Hungry Valley. Those trails are awsome!!

My friend brought a new CRF250X, and I was on my 230. Since most of the trails are fairly technical(ones we chose),and some very tricky, we both agreed the 230 was overall better suited for this kind of stuff. The 250 has a tall first gear ratio,(compared to the 230) and does not have the low RPM tractibility like the 230.In some instances major clutch slippage and hi-revs were needed for the 250 to get through some of the obstacles, where the 230 just crawled through like a caterpillar. I think the 230 is a better trail bike, especially for the real slow knarly terrain. I'm now certain I made the correct choice by buying the 230 over the 250 for this kind of riding. We also came upon a couple of guys riding new KTM's, One of them had a simple tip over and crushed one of his radiators. There wasn't much we could do to help out. My friend was keeping his fingers crossed that a similar situation did not happen to him. Lucky for us we got through mostly unscathed.

I really enjoy those single track trails there, along with the number of creek crossings that provide the perfect "break" areas. The place is truly incredible. I highly recommend it to every one. If you ever have the chance to ride there, you will create some excellent memories, I guarantee it.......

Right on coeshow..

Glad to hear you had a great time on your CRF230F... a motorcycle

that I also think has a lot more to offer than most people realize.

Can't wait to ride Gorman. We're looking at a pickup to buy hopefully soon.

Our tired old van looks like its on its last breaths as I write this.

And who wants to tow a small wheeled trailer 300+ miles for a weekend anyway.

I actually use a van for hauling !! I have E-350 15 passenger van that I have removed the last three bench seats and fabricated a 3 bike chock that install's in place of the second bench seat, utilizing the same brackets. I used to use a pickup, but had parts of my bike and stuff missing after one stay in a motel years ago. Vans are more secure, so thats what I use nowadays....... If you get to Gorman, I'm certain you will enjoy it. You can camp there,they have fire rings, excellent concrete restrooms, and picnic tables. Or use any of a number of local motels. The adjoining Los Padres Forest provides trails second to none, with excellent marking and difficulty ratings !!

Camping for sure!

Our "old broke down" van is a '95 Aerostar... yeah, the mommie-van!

I would prefer a van like the Chevy Express, but we got a great deal on this pickup..and it's got the extra cab, which will help keep some stuff secure. The rest, like ramp, etc., will be locked down. Already got this planned out because . . . we bought the truck! It's in our driveway now!

I'm also thinking about getting one of those tall shells that will easily fit the bikes without having to pull the handlebars back. And for that extra storage too.

That's it from here. Sorry to steal your Gorman thread!

DD

You didn't steal anything..... And trucks are good ! I am just paranoid now about thieves. If you are camping at Gorman you will enjoy the wide variety of available sites ! Many different areas to choose from. I camped there for a week with my family last June. Thats how I discovered all of the trails in the adjoining forest!! The forest trails are definitly NOT for anybody less than very experienced riders! But man are they unbelievable ! Some of the views are simply amazing! I recommend getting a map from the forest service before you venture out there. The maps are free.