noisy engine?

Ok, I must be stupid. I briught my bike in to work (Dealership) All my riding buddies are mechanics. We started my bike up and we all heard how loud it was ( sounded metal to metal a bit) We shut it off. We then took the skid plate off and started it up again, it was quiter this time. ?

my buddy has a YZF 450, so we started his up, sounded similar.

I hope it was just the skid plate.

my bike has 44 hours on it, I dont race. Should I just leav it?

Does anyone have a step by step way to check the counter balance? Do i have to split the case?

Thanks, any help would be great

llbrownwheel,

YZ Man says your shaft is fine. IF YOUR SHAFT HAS IDENTIONS FROM THE NEEDLE BEARING..... CHANGE IT AND THE BEARING!!!! The noise is coming from the cage spinning with the needles in the bearing.The pic has a little glare but it seems those indentions are there. Mine weren't very big but that was my problem. I'm not sure how YZ Man's problem started, but I can guarantee if your started as a water leak you need to change the shaft and bearing. The other end of the shaft (with the chunk out) is normal. I thought the same thing when I pulled mine apart but when the new one came it was the same way from the factory. Good Luck,.... let us know when you get it fixed

Put the new counterbalancer and water pump assembly in today. Started right up....The terrible noise is gone!...and no leaking from waterpump hole. Approx $190.00 in parts and shipping from Service Honda. (It's like having a parts dept in my own garage.) Could have saved $8 more if only I would have inspected the balancer shaft before I ordered the water pump parts. Thanks to Amberjax,Mantis250 and Durkot for the info in this thread. You guys were exactly right about what was going on with my bike. ? LB

My shopping list included: balancer shaft, left side needle bearing,oil seal,right side bearing, water pump shaft,washer,water pump o-ring, oil seal, water seal, water pump bearing,left and right case gaskets...and the little snap ring that holds the plastic oil pump driven gear(because it disappeared into thin air when I tried to take it off with 2 picks instead of using snap ring pliers). Including shipping to me in Des Moines, Iowa.($8 because only coming from Indiana I think.)

Good to know that your bike came out fine ..... Like me, you probably don't mind spending some cash as long it does'nt keep happening over and over! I'm gonna try something else to try and keep the needle bearing from going bad again..... I bought some "Lucas oil" at the auto parts yesterday and I'm gonna put it into the transmission lube to help keep the needle bearing lubed. The instructions on the Synthetic type suggests to use a 10% solution for motorcycles with wet clutches. You could probably use it a little stronger since I bought the 100% petro. product. I think I'll try 20% mix. I also try not to lean the bike while parked toward the throttle side with hopes of leaving a little oil on the needle bearing. Does anyone know if the choke idle speed can be cut down??? I think that also might help the needle bearing last a little longer too. I'm sure starting the thing cold and dry with the choke can't be good for it!

Once again, glad you got your bike repaired!!!!

I have a 03 crf450 and I have been reading these post about the engine noise. I noticed a few of you guys list the magura hydraulic clutch in your bike setup. I am consdering this product and would like some feed back on its performance. Sorry to change the subject.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out this morning that I have the exact same problem. ? I actually got lucky because the retaining nut had backed off. It could have caused a lot more damage. I hope this is not a continual problem ? I may have to look to a different color bike next season.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm worried that I'm in the same boat as you guys.

Mine is an 04, bought in late July. Just noticed the weep hole leaking this weekend, but when I checked my fluild level it was probably about 6-8 ounces low.

Also, last 2 times I've changed my tranny oil it looked light gray.

Luckily I have a friend who has his own shop, and TT with lots of info. I had him order the full replacement for the water pump, shaft, seals, bearings, etc. We'll take a look at the counterbalance shaft while we're in the there too. Hopefully I won't have to change that.

ben