Sign in to follow this  

110 octane fuel

This Saturday I used Cam 2 (110) octane fuel. Its leaded and I've been told that lead is bad by some people but others say its good for the valves. I went ahead and used it anyway because I've had some valve problems. The bike ran great! The gas is awesome stuff but will it ruin my bike?

Hey, Look at an earlier post on the subject. Dilbert says you are wasting your money, I say it is money well spent w/lead and high octane for the 13:1 CR. However, I am merely TweedleDumb.

I say use it. W/lead and high octane for the 13:1 CR, you can't be hurting the engine, only helping it. Right, Dilbert?

I use cam 2 mixed 50/50 with 91 octane premium pump gas and noticed snappier throttle response and the bike running better. I also always run the same mixture so I jetted to it.

I have been run 110 racing fuel im my DRZ400 for 2yrs now. The 400 is running stronger than ever. The motor runs cooler throttle response is improved, and I have no pre-detonation problem. This from a bike that was recommended to run Super unleaded pump gas, Ya Right!!! with super unleaded the engine was knocking so bad I thought the bottom end was ready to go.

I have no hesitation running 110 in my 250X. I run the 250x hard on Enduros and Harescrambles. I also want to mention that I don't burn oil, and my valves are fine.

As far as cost; I spend more to get to the places to ride than I do to fill my tank with 2 gallons of 110.

Hey Novaman64,

You said that you mix the gas 50/50. Do you think that running a full tank of the Cam 2 gas is bad?

I mix for a few reasons. One, at $5 a gallon for a broke college student it makes ridding real exspensive real fast. Second is that the ignition curve programmed into the bikes arent meant to be detonating gas with that high of a octane so diluting it might be a good idea. The reasons I do run race gas is that here in CA our gas is horrible (91 octane premium) and when I got my bike it was pinging, pooring some of that beautiful purple buble gum gas stopped that problem instantly. At the end of this race season (Dec.) when its time to do a top end on the bike (should have about 60hrs by then) I will throw in a higher compression piston, Hot Cams Stage 1 cam and get a vortex ignition. At that point I will run pure race gas. Until then I think running straight race gas is a waste of money...... But that just my opinion, I am sure this will start some huge debate so let the flaming begin. :cry:

Mine runs great with Shell V-Power... a 95 octane fuel sold only in Norway (engineered for Norwegian conditions, it says on the pump. whatever :cry:). Bike runs great on it :cry: