Sign in to follow this  

popping

after i changed the jets on my 230 and adjusted to fuel screw to about 1.75 turns out, i noticed that the exhaust was "popping" more when i let off the gas. it might have been doing that the entire time but i really started noticing it more after i rejetted. the muffler i put on there is an fmf "q", is that normal for them or do i need to adjust something?

after i changed the jets on my 230 and adjusted to fuel screw to about 1.75 turns out, i noticed that the exhaust was "popping" more when i let off the gas. it might have been doing that the entire time but i really started noticing it more after i rejetted. the muffler i put on there is an fmf "q", is that normal for them or do i need to adjust something?

If the bike fine pinned and halfway on the throttle? If so, you need to go up on your pilot jet. If It's not, then you should adjust the fuel screw out.

Also, if it's pops then the pilot is lean. If its backfires, it is too rich.

Just try turning the fuel screw out 1/2 turn and see if it quits popping on deceleration. A single pop hear and there means you are very close. If you like, you could turn it out a little more and it should quit popping. If the fuel screw needs to be turned out beyond 3 full turns to end the popping, you need to increase the pilot jet to the next larger size and start over at about 1-1.5 turns out. You should be able to get a close start by setting your idle speed to the "highest" idle speed with this screw. After that is attained, go for the decel test. be careful when making adjustments on the bike while it is running. The fuel mixture screw is extremely hard to access, and you could seriously burn yourself while attempting adjustments!!! Be safe.