Sign in to follow this  

Advice for removing master link

I'm putting a new chain on my YZ250F for the first time, any advice on removing the current chain's master link?

While I'm at it, I am also going to replace the counter sprocket. I haven't even looked at it yet, but I assume it's relatively straight forward. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Craig

Removing the master link is fairly easy. If you have an oring chain the master link plate is mst probably an interference fit (tight fit) on the pins. If you have a chain breaker then it's easy. If not position the master link at the rear sprocket remove the clip and lightly tap it our (you may need a small punch) If chain is non o'ring once the clip is removed it should almost fall apart by itself... Fitting an oring master link can be done with a pair of vise grips and a nut big enuff to fit over the pin. Push the plate on (after installing the orings of course) position the nut over the pin and use your vise grips to push the plate together (do not press it together to tight though). The output shaft nut can be undone with a rattle gun if you

have one. If not try to undo it before you remove the chain. Use a 24mm socket and stand on the rear brake and you might be lucky. Remember to bend the lock tab down first. Good luck.