Sign in to follow this  

electrical problem

Does anyone have a possible solution to my electrical problem? The headlight and tail/brakelight on my 2003 WR250F burn out immediately when the motor is reved up. I have checked the voltage and it increases as the revs increase. I'm not much of an electrican and any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had replaced the regulator/rectifier before I posted the problem. It made no difference. Thanks for the reply.

I can't think of anything else that can cause both lights to pop at high revs other than a bad regulator/rectifier. Maybe your new one is bad too or your ignition power is somehow feeding your lights.

I've been looking at the wiring diagram for my 02 WR. If the black wire from the regulator is broken anywhere or lost its ground then the regulator will not work.

I also noticed what looks like a diode on the yellow wire between the magneto and the lights. It is not labeled but it is a halfwave rectifier. If it is shorted your lights may pop even if the regulator is good. To check a diode you measure the resistance both ways. It should have little or no resistance one way. Swap your test leads around and it should have high resistance or read open. If it reads no resistance or high resistance both ways it has failed.

Good luck with your problem.