Sign in to follow this  

05 450SX What do i need to know!!

Well,

Im going orange for the first time, and i cant wait to get my 05 450SX. But I want to know if the 450's have a auto deompresion or not? Im coming off a 02 YZ426 so its not a problem if its not an auto, but im just curious? And does anyone have an 05 yet? if you do how do you like it!! and what did you pay for it? and what are the first things I should do to the bike?

Thanks '

Ryan :cry:

ALL KTM RFS's have the auto decompressor and have since they first came out in '00.

I'm going KTM for the first time too. Gonna get an 05' ktm450sx. Anyone got one yet and how do they like it? I just gotta sell my honda crf450 first then I can go pick up the ktm. Cant wait!!!

Excelent!!! I cant wait!! The dealer is getting there 2nd shipment in a week or 2. Is there anything i need to do before riding? and is there any little KTM secrets i need to know about?

What? none of the KTM SX RFS '00'-'03' models have auto decomps! '05' will be their first year with it. i'm not sure about the EXC's though.

well,

see why i asked is because, when you go to the KTM web site, and go to the 450SX and click on the "download" button it takes you to a PDF and when i zoom in on the cylinder area i see a cable and a arm and to me it looks like a manual decomp? so thats why i ask.

And i have 1 more question

is it a double or single cam setup?

The RFS have had auto decomp since 00'. All of them. MXC, EXC, SX. They also have a manual lever which is handy if you flood it or dump it.

The motor is a single cam which acuates 4 titanium valves via 2 rocker arms.

What have you been smoking ??? :cry:

All the RFS motors (2000 and up) have an auto decompression assembly. It's on the cam gear. Take a look in your parts books.

OK MR. Smart Arse here you go:

This is from a 2000 parts manual look at # 27 the description reads "59036016000 DECOMPRESSION SHAFT".

If you have to use the manual decompression lever to kick start your bike you have one of 2 problems.

#1 your exhsust valves are too loose

#2 you need to check the auto decomp assembly

If you still doubt it Here's a link to the same page from a '03 parts manual: '03 parts

BTW I can start my bike by hand using the kick lever :cry:

tmingvalve.gif

If you've needed to use the manual lever to kick your bike over, it shows that your valves are most likely out of adjustment. As several of us have said in this thread, ALL KTM RFS's have it. All have the manual decomp lever, too.

Ok guys settel down :cry:

BUt The question still remains!!!

Is there anything i need to know about theese bikes before i buy and or ride them?

Ya most important thing of any 4 stroke is change your OIL and filters (under and to the left of the shifter is a cap it takes a 13mm I think take that out and clean your screen as well)!!!

The big thing with the bikes are before your first ride COMPLETLY warm the motor up and for the first 15 min vary the throttle a lot. Don't go WFO for more than a blip. The valves will need to be checked and/or adjusted after the first 3 hours, 8 hours, 20 hours, and every 20 hours after that. Ru the chain loose. Check it by removing the shock and lift the swingarm until the counter shaft/swingarn pivot/axle bolt are in a straight line then adjust the chain so you have 1/2" of play. You should do this at least once so you can get an idea of what a properly adjusted chain looks like on a KTM tightest point. Install a 5mm longer shifter bolt and loctie it and the kick start lever bolt.