Sign in to follow this  

Is the Z-start worth it?

I'm considering selling my 450 because I think it's too much bike for me in the tight single track conditions I like to ride. I'm thinking of moving to a 250. MY question is would a z-start make a difference, or should I move to a 250? There is a used Z-start for sale (with external adjuster) for $350. Will it prevent me from getting winded while riding single track? Thanks for any advice. :cry:

I think that you will really like it. I think it will add to your enjoyment of the 450. Especially on single track technical rides where limited traction/rocks/roots are present. In the past, these sections required slipping the clutch expertly to avoid several things: stalling the motor, breaking traction and fighting the result, and suddenly finding traction and having Mr. 450 try to get away from you. The z-start aleviates all of those. When you ride around a bend and are faced with a nice technical section, you simply point and go, rolling on the power as needed/desired. I couldn't believe how easy it made difficult sections become and how much arm strength/pump was reduced.

I race primarly MX but, here in Idaho, we have some of the absolute best mountain trails in the country, I've been able to get up to them recently and was pleasantly suprised how well it worked. It is like cheating! Now I know some experienced riders will say, "I don't need my machine slipping its clutch for me" and that's fine. What's cool is the clutch is slipped perfectly every time in every situation; much more perfect than I can be! So it makes riding much less stressful with an excellent result. Hope this helps :cry:

it made all the difference in the world for me. it makes the 450s even easier to ride in the tight stuff. you never have to worry about stalling or if you're in the right gear. just gas it and go. i highly recommend it. i will definatly put it on my next bike.

Why not just get a new one since only $40 more here...

ZStart Link

($390). Think they have gone thru about 3 generations

of updates-so the new for for just a little bit more

would seem the way to go for me.

I rode a WR450 last wknd with a new Z-Start, and was

amazed at how seamless and smooth it was. Really makes

the technical stuff a breeze.

Best money I have ever spent on any bike accessory.

I was also considering the switch to a 250, but the z-start has made the 450 a user-friendly beast.

I am doing the best of both worlds! I just put a new z-start on my 450 and it made it super easy to ride but it does not handle as well as my new crf250r so soon i will be putting a z-start on the 250 for lots of fun in the tight and nasties.

Try it! If you don't like it pull it out, sell it and then get a 250. :cry:

I decided to get the used z-start, I thought the $365 price was good considering it was only used twice, comes with the manual clutch override, and the billet cover. I'll let you guys know how the installation and ride this weekend goes.

:cry:

I thought the $365 price was good considering it was only used twice, comes with the manual clutch override, and the billet cover

That's a killer price and you won't loose much if anything on that deal, but I'll bet you'll really like it once it's properly setup :cry:

that's a great price for the suff that you got , I just paid $200 for just the clutch system, but after seeing how much the add on parts are I doubt that I can get the over ride or the brake lever, or the cover . so if you got all that you gut a great deal also, and the install I thought was a breeze, just do what the manual says to do and everything works prefect, I love it and don't think I can ride anything else

I just got ON the phone to order mine...

(After reading all these posts... I think it's just what I need). :cry:

BUT... where'd you find that used price??? Damn... great deal! Just the clutch is like $380... plus the adjuster $80-90ish.

I think I can get the whole deal for $400... via a friend. :cry:

Wow! This product kicks some serious butt, I can't believe how well it works. The z-start made the 450 work great in the tight stuff. Now I feel like I have the best of all worlds: a bike that handles well in tight single track, and still has the mighty 450 power in the open sections. Why would you ride without one? :cry:

First of all skip the perch adjuster unless you are convinced you will need a manual lever. I dont run a lever at all. There is a difference between the Gen2 and Gen3. Gen2 requires shims on the clutch basket towers to set the correct gap, Gen3 uses different thickness steel plates. Gen2 also has the friction disc attached to the outer pressure plate requiring you to send it in if it wears out, whereas Gen3 uses stock friction plates. Also the clamping pressure of the Gen3 is stronger )probably different ramps. I have run a EFM for over a year and absolutely loved it (operation not method of attachment). I too bought a Gen2 used just last week. I have installed it and it checks out on the stand. I will have to wait a day or so to ride it. I do like its ease of adjustment and accesibilty. Rekluse will also update your Gen2 to a Gen3 for 149.95. I couldnt wait to check out the difference so I will run it with Gen2 for a month or so and then send it in for upgrade and check that model out too! I already see some areas that could be changed easily that could make install and removal much easier but I will wait to see Gen3 and then talk to Al. Sorry to rant :cry:

First of all skip the perch adjuster unless you are convinced you will need a manual lever.

Have you tried it with the lever? I wouldn't ride w/o it. Especially if you're in the wrong gear and need a burst to clear a log, rock or big puddle. Even in moto if you happen to be in the wrong gear before a jump.

Yes I have tried it, not on my Zstart but on my EFM. They work very much the same. The reason I said dont buy the perch adjuster is because most here on TT buy the adjuster at the same time and never end up using it. That is almost 100.00 saved. How well does it perform for you if you would have been in the correct gear? I dont really use mine to ride in the wrong gear just to eliminate stalling. But yes the snap off the bottom is not quite the same without a lever or you could change the spring and solve your problem and or be in a gear for that speed instead of depending on the clutch to do all of the work. After reading of at least 30 people who didnt use it after buying it. Do a search.

I don't need to do a search, most of them never even tried it.

How can you say they work the same if you never tried the Rekluse?

Do you even ride in the woods?

You must just be the perfect rider then, I'm surprised you even need an auto-clutch.

Interesting reply, I have an EFM guess what their theories are the same (balls, springs and ramps). Yeah I guess those other people who bought the adjuster must not have been as intelligent as you. They must not know how to read directions like you do. Yes I ride woods, mx and any other kind of riding you want to name. I love bikes. I also know how to operate a clutch fine. I like to work on my own bike too. I ran an EFM clutch for quite a while, I have had no problems with it. I bought the Rekluse because I watched and read about Al building it for a long time. I figured I would try their product because I can afford to. I will also try Gen3 in a month or 2 from now, again to see the differences. I merely stated what most people said after "they" bought the perch adjuster and claimed if they had to do it again, they wouldnt purchase it. Do you really think the different brands of auto clutch are that much different? The same design has been used for years in other applications. Just some small details have changed. If you want to attack me for my opinion go ahead. One other question, have you ever tried yours without it? The other spring? Different adjustments? Different gaps? Ever try riding in the correct gear? Btw I have tried most of those things and I will again on the Rekluse.

If you want to attack me for my opinion go ahead. One other question, have you ever tried yours without it? The other spring? Different adjustments? Different gaps? Ever try riding in the correct gear? Btw I have tried most of those things and I will again on the Rekluse.

Attack? Where did I attack you? :cry:

I have tried different springs and gaps while setting it up and right now I'm running 8 carbide balls IIRC and the stiffer spring. (it's been a while since I touched it)

As far as not having the lever. Why would you not want it on there unless you're using a rear brake setup? It's easier to adjust at the perch and it works just like a regular lever.

You put in your opinion and I put in mine. If that's attacking....whatever.

Ever try riding in the correct gear?

I didn't state I do it all the time but if you happen to be in the wrong gear it helps, especially in the woods. So you've never been in the wrong gear?

OK, once :cry: But it didnt stall, never has and probably never will. :cry: There was never a need to adjust it after it was set up. Anyway he gets the adjuster free in the package he was purchasing so I guess he can sure try it if he wants to. I kind of like no lever on the left side (though I do want and hand or thumb brake) it bothers people that there is no lever. Causes no problems for me. After riding in woods and Mx/Sx tracks, I can see it needed much more at the track. I dont use it there either. :cry: