Sign in to follow this  

Dr. D pipe, holy smoke

Wow, just put the pipe on and rode this weekend in the dirt hills at Grand Junction, CO. It blew me away how much more power the bike has. Accelerating away the front wheel just wants to leave the ground and in 2nd and 3rd gear the bike seems to pull forever up the steeps. All you Dr. D owners, did you experience the same thing...? Wow... that about sums it up. :cry:

Did you make any jetting changes?

No I didn't, but there was more popping on deceleration and a more pronounced miss when holding a steady throttle so I think I am going to need to tweak on the jetting a bit. Didn't affect my riding though.

I just put one on also, last thursday... WHOOSH! That about sums it up! :cry: I almost feel like I'm on a two stroke... grab the throttle too hard and its wheelie time! :cry:

Its advertised as needing no jetting changes. My friend at Applied works closely with Dubach (sp?) and she never changed hers. A minor adjustment on the fuel/air mixture screw might fix your problem if the increased air flow is now making you a little lean...

:cry:

I put this pipe on a few weeks ago...the difference is HUGE! My buddy has the same bike (04 yz250f) with a stock pipe and it feels slow to me now. I didn't change my jetting but I have also noticed the increase in decel popping, but that can me fixed. Anyone know where I can get a heat shield for it??

It's amazing how much difference there is compared to the stock exhaust especially at the low and mid ranges. :cry:

I too am very pleasently impressed with my Dr. D exhaust. The bike just flat RIPS with the Dr. D system. I run a 175 main, and I leaned out the clip by dropping the needle 1 groove to the 4th groove. I backed out the fuel screw until the popping on decel went away. With this setup, and riding in Ohio between 70 and 85 degrees, the motor pulls strong everywhere. :cry:

I love the pipe, it seems to smooth the power out totally. I do think it has lost a little top speed though. It's power is great down low, second is like first used to be. I can climb the biggest dunes at our riding area with ease, third gear 1/8-1/4 throttle and just idle right up. You can also turn the throttle going up the dunes and accelerate on up. I do think I want a faster more powerful bike, but oh well. I ride mine on the roads alot and you can really feel the true power because you have total traction. It seems slow and kinda weak to me when accelerating. But climbing is great. Wheelies are better with the dr. d also.

All you Dr. D owners, did you experience the same thing...?

Yep, I had the exact same reaction: WOW! GREAT product at a fraction of the price of the more "high profile" exhaust systems.

I've been debating getting a Dr.D for my bike. This thread may be the deciding factor. What's a decent price for the pipe, and where did you guys get yours from? :cry:

I've been debating getting a Dr.D for my bike. This thread may be the deciding factor. What's a decent price for the pipe, and where did you guys get yours from? :cry:

I got mine from Applied, www.AppliedRace.com ... they work pretty closely with Doug Dubach (founder and developer of Dr. D products) and I think have the best prices around... :cry:

Without the silent core, I would say the pipe is more throatier than stock, but not necessarily louder. Compared to some of the other aftermarket 4-stroke pipes I've heard, the Dr. D is not loud at all. It sounds tough - and fast!

Without the silent core, I would say the pipe is more throatier than stock, but not necessarily louder. Compared to some of the other aftermarket 4-stroke pipes I've heard, the Dr. D is not loud at all. It sounds tough - and fast!

Yep, that's how I would characterize it as well. I run the quiet insert as well and I would still say it sounds tough - and fast! Got mine from motofrugals.com. I think they are selling it at $399 right now. For the WR250F make sure you purchase the rear bracket installation kit ($10)

I got mine at motosportoutlet.com for 340. I don't know if it's still the same price. Mine was the full system.

Oh yeah, on my invoice it says for an 03 model. I guess the pipes are exactly the same... does anyone know?

Wow! The price is up to 450 at motosportoutlet.com Maybe you should look elsewhere. I can't believe that I got it for 340.

I go mine from BTO Sports, the full exhaust system w/spark arrestor was $380.00. I know that the TT store has them for around $415.00 or something like that. Read the TT store 110% guarenteed low price details before you buy it somewhere else, I think they will reimburse 110% of the difference if you buy it from them. Anyway, the webstie for BTO is: http://www.btosports.com/

I also purchased the quite core insert which is supposed to bring the db level to around 96db or lower.... :cry: