Sign in to follow this  

Need a new rear tire

I will be getting a new rear tire soon.I ride at Stonyford,Foresthill,Georgetown,Sierra City.Any recommendations?KTM 450EXC

I would say a Michelin S12. I am lovin mine. Those places are fairly soft and with the raines coming up I think that would be the best tire.

S-12 or nothing. :cry: Even when they wear out, their better than anything else. :cry:

Thank's sounds like s-12 is it. :cry:

Donald,

I've gone thru 5 tires since March on the 650. Started with a Pirelli mt21, (came on the bike) tore that sucker off and installed an S12. The S12 lasted about 1 ride- toast. Great tire for lower torque bikes, ran one on my dr & KTM with great results, but horrible on the 650..Then I switched to IRC'S Ve33 for the next 2 tires, gave me good results on my 490 yrs ago. Better than the S12, but still the spin/chunk/gobble up the knobs - not cool.

I played with the air pressure on all above tires, to no avail.

Zilla, bud of mine from KTMTALK recommended the Maxxis IT.

Read all kinda posts about that tire on different sites, all good feedback about the Maxxis. So, I did some price checking, cheap tire! How can a cheap tire be good???

Guess what- sucker hooks up supurb...! Soon as I got out in the open at Foresthill (Bob's secret road), I cranked it up as fast as the pig would go and TRIED to lose it- no dice!!

Great tire so far, the future will tell as to how it wears..

There's all kinda tires out there, but for high torque bikes, MAXXIS IT's. :cry:

:cry: My experience is: the S-12 is too soft. Sure in the wet it's great cuz anything radical and you're gonna lose it. I put an M-12 on and I get great results. :cry:

In the rear, I put the hardest tire I can find. A Dunlop 736 Desert tire. My 400 is a torque monster and anything else wares out extreamly fast. :cry:

s-12 is great but $60

the maxxis is a great nor cal tire if you can get the beast mounted--extremely thick side walls. If you want a tire that grips like an s-12 but cost less than the maxxis try a kenda millville BTW Rocky mtn has been sold out for a while and I have only found them at one other place so far and I ain't saying where. I think the kenda sells for about $40-$42

My new cheap favorite. Kenda Milleville, 120-100-18 40 bucks at rocky mountian.

My new cheap favorite. Kenda Milleville, 120-100-18 40 bucks at rocky mountian.

+1, My FAV as well. I run a carlsbad on the front with the milleville rear.

Maxxis IT 120x18- $ 43.40 at rocky mtn....

I'm going to 3rd the Maxxis IT. It is a great tire for the money and lasts for a long time. :cry:

4th :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Looks like 4-Maxxis,2-Kenda Millville,1-M-12,2-S-12.Maxxis is in the lead. :cry:

Looks like 4-Maxxis,2-Kenda Millville,1-M-12,2-S-12.Maxxis is in the lead. :cry:

Actually if you read my first post I am also an endorsing the kenda. But all of them are good. If you are going to burn through a tire in 4-6 rides why not burn through a $40 tire rather than a $60 tire. The maxxis has alot of meat on it but the kenda is bi directional. one way is soft terrain the other is intermediate.

Actually if you read my first post I am also an endorsing the kenda. But all of them are good. If you are going to burn through a tire in 4-6 rides why not burn through a $40 tire rather than a $60 tire. The maxxis has alot of meat on it but the kenda is bi directional. one way is soft terrain the other is intermediate.

I would go with the Cheng Shin C755, only $21 from RCMC :cry: Zekedawg my son got a big 4X4 last Saturday, I got a hang over... :cry:

I would go with the Cheng Shin C755, only $21 from RCMC :cry: Zekedawg my son got a big 4X4 last Saturday, I got a hang over... :cry:

I have been thinking of actually trying the cheng shin to see what it was all about. My buddy bought one for his yzf, If they hook up and last 5 rides who cares.

I am going hunting this weekend and next, then riding georgetown. then more hunting. Wheres the pics of the buck.

You should check out http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Cool site.

I've run S12's before and they were pretty good, but on my 525 one ride and it was pretty worn. Usuable, but worn. The stock bridgestone held up much better. I hated the old bridgestones, but seems like the new models are much better. I might give there new int tire a try next time.

On the front I have a Dunlop 773 and I love it. Sticks much better at Hollister than the 756.

Just don't put a M12 on the rear, its horrible rear. the front is OK.

Cheers,

I guess I'll put a vote in for the IRC VE33 rear. 4_1_204.gif

I ride pretty much the same places you mentioned and they work great and last pretty good for me. The one I'm on now has over 500 miles on it, it's a little worn, but still very usable.