Sign in to follow this  

Follow up question for JD

James, I have your kit for the 05 450 exc. I ride between 3000 and 6000 feet. I installed the 170 main, left the pilot at #42, blue needle at 3rd position from the top, and fuel screw is 1.25 turns out. I have just put on the Pro Circuit type 496 silencer with the stock header. I rode today for the first time since rejetting, but the bike was lean and would pop and stutter in the lower rpms. Would the after market silencer cause the jetting to be too lean? And to fix it do you recommend I begin by adjusting the fuel screw, moving the clip on the needle or changing the main jet? Thanks for the help,

Randy

Popping on deceleration does not always mean the jetting is lean, but it can sometimes. A leaking exhaust can cause popping too. Make sure all the flanges and connectors are sealed well be fore adjusting. Even then, see how well the bike runs, idles, starts, responds, etc.

Don't use popping on deceleration as the final measure of jetting.

--Although, you can sometimes reduce popping by turning the fuel screw outwards.

James

The bike actually didn't pop that bad on deceleration. It would pop and stutter at about 1/4 throttle. It also ran hotter than before. I didn't know if the fuel screw would adjust for this or if I needed a bigger adjustment like the needle position or a richer jet.

Randy,

Start with turning the fuel screw inwards to 1 turn, expecting the jetting may be rich for 3000-6000ft elevation. Check the response at low throttle and just off-idle. If response is not as good, try 1 3/4 turns. Make sure the bike is fully warmed up and ride it 15-20 minutes to check.

The next step I would suggest is to try running the red marked needle in the 5th from top clip position. Adjust the fuel screw in the range of 1-2 turns with this needle, which is leaner 0-1/4 throttle.

It seems unlikely that you would need to be richer, but if the bike with PC exhaust needs it, the blue marked needle in clip #4 is also an option.

Thanks,

James