Sign in to follow this  

Thurston county TT'ers

I am encouraging thurston county residents or those who have friends and family members that reside here to. To not to forget about the 3 county commissioners that chose to close the orv park. It's election time for them also, i would even suggest sending them an email letting them know that you intend to vote them out, let them know as a orv enthuiast you are unhappy with the way they handled this issue and they're unwillingness to work the IAC and orv users. Maybe they will redeem themselves and do the right thing by the end of this month. county commissioners

Need to clear this up... I sent e-mail to all 3 commissioners this morning.

I received an e-mail back from Diane Oberquell stating that she DID vote to keep the park OPEN and she was the ONLY commissioner to vote to keep it OPEN. She indicated that this could be confirmed with the ORV user groups that meet in WA.

So I recommend you do vote for Diane Oberquell.

My father owned a chevron station and an auto shop in the capital auto mall and Diane was a customer at both. My dad had nothing but good things to say about her and how she was such a good customer. I really hope she gets re-elected...DOWN WITH KATHY WOLFE!!!!!!! :cry:

Need to clear this up... I sent e-mail to all 3 commissioners this morning.

I received an e-mail back from Diane Oberquell stating that she DID vote to keep the park OPEN and she was the ONLY commissioner to vote to keep it OPEN. She indicated that this could be confirmed with the ORV user groups that meet in WA.

So I recommend you do vote for Diane Oberquell.

It is true, originally commissioner Oberquell had voted to keep the park open, but back in april an article ran on the front page of the Olympian paper. This article was about the IAC asking the comissioners and user groups to take this issue to mediation, commissioner Oberquell was qouted as saying that the commissioners had no intention of going to mediation, that the state was at fault, and that they had made they're decision and where going to stand by it. I ran a post here on 4-9-04 refering to this article. After that article ran in the paper i sent several emails to oberquell asking her about these statements she made "no reply" i too thought she was for the orv park until i read that article. So now she says she's all for it again, related to John Kerry maybe :cry: so no i wont vote for oberquell again. btw did you ask her what orv user groups she was refering to?

Is this the article you are referring to:

thurston orv article, April 9th 2004

Here is the quote I think you are referring to:

"We're not interested in mediation," said commission Chairman Diane Oberquell, who voted against closing the park in 2002 and has supported reopening the park during the past four months of negotiations.

"We had told them what we would need to consider reopening, and they haven't said yea or nay or kiss my foot," she said. "It just seems to me that they're not interested in having Thurston County even consider reopening the park."

Ed Bushnell, a Lynnwood resident who raced motorcycles at the park, said he also was frustrated that the state didn't respond to the county's proposal.

"My spirits aren't down; I'm going to keep working at it," he said. "We would still love to get the park back up, but I don't know how we're going to get it done."

The way it reads I would say that Oberquell does support us.

As far as the user group Oberquell mentioned, she included Edward Bushnell on the email she sent to me. He is the presedent of the North West outdoor Coalition (NWOC) and quoted in the article above.

I received the follow-up from Bushnell stating the following:

I am putting together a flyer to be sent out to the NMA, AMA, Pro Racing and PNW groups. We will be holding meeting (North West outdoor Coalition "NWOC") in the next several month

Dianne had also stated in her email the following:

I am currently working with Rep. Condotta to see if we can get it under a State Agency so it can be opened

Nice work Trav! This will make it easy, vote for Dianne, dump all the rest! There was an article last week regarding the ORV park in the Daily Olympian, it appeared the state threatened to sue Thurston County for closing it, it appears they paid way in advance for the county to run this, then they close it. I will try to locate the article.

Is this the article you are referring to:

thurston orv article, April 9th 2004

Here is the quote I think you are referring to:

"We're not interested in mediation," said commission Chairman Diane Oberquell, who voted against closing the park in 2002 and has supported reopening the park during the past four months of negotiations.

"We had told them what we would need to consider reopening, and they haven't said yea or nay or kiss my foot," she said. "It just seems to me that they're not interested in having Thurston County even consider reopening the park."

Ed Bushnell, a Lynnwood resident who raced motorcycles at the park, said he also was frustrated that the state didn't respond to the county's proposal.

"My spirits aren't down; I'm going to keep working at it," he said. "We would still love to get the park back up, but I don't know how we're going to get it done."

The way it reads I would say that Oberquell does support us.

As far as the user group Oberquell mentioned, she included Edward Bushnell on the email she sent to me. He is the presedent of the North West outdoor Coalition (NWOC) and quoted in the article above.

I received the follow-up from Bushnell stating the following:

I am putting together a flyer to be sent out to the NMA, AMA, Pro Racing and PNW groups. We will be holding meeting (North West outdoor Coalition "NWOC") in the next several month

Dianne had also stated in her email the following:

I am currently working with Rep. Condotta to see if we can get it under a State Agency so it can be opened

That would be the article, it seem to me there was more to the article. I still have the actual paper and will attempt to locate it, in the mean time im not convinced. Why not go to mediation? what would have been the negative side of it? possibly a solution? mite have to reopen the park or have to repay the funds?

I sent an e-mail to Dianne and explained that the article and her quote did come off a little confusing and made it appear a first glance that the county was resisting to work with the state. However, I also explained that when I re-read the article more carefully it appeared there was more to it and that she was trying to indicate in the article that the state and IAC were not working well with the county, not the other way around. I asked if she could explain further and received the following response:

The reason we were not interested in mediation, we had already had a number of "mediation" conferences with a woman by the name of Kaleen Cottingham (sp?) who was hired by IAC,and we had an agreement with her and she said that the IAC staff was going to recommend it to the IAC Committee. When we received the IAC staff report there were no recommendations. The request that the Board had made were the only way that I could get Commissioner Macleod to vote to open the Park. Commissioner Wolfe will NEVER vote to open it. I didn't feel that any further talks would be fruitful. My interest is in getting the park opened and in full operation for 2005, or else it loses it Special Use Permit and would have to go through the whole process again. This is costly and takes a lot of time. The longer it is not in use the more difficult it will be to get it started again....I am not sure that I would have the second vote on the Commission to grant another "Special Use Permit".

hopefully this helps some. it appears she is fighting a hard battle with having little support from the other 2 commissioners.

In my emails with Dianne it appears she is concerned over the park and definitely working to see it reopened.