Sign in to follow this  

05'yzf250 ride reports??

I know TWMX and RacerX have 250f shootouts, but was hoping to hear some "real world" reports from any of you 05' owners discussing if/how much better the forks are, and if/how much better the motor is...THANKS!!

it seems SO odd to me...these bikes have been out (at least in select areas of the country) for over a week now...and NO ONE has written in with a ride report!! Must be too busy riding!! :cry:

I'm curios too, we have a very good offer on our 03 and was all set to buy a honda but after reading about all the valve problems we're staying with the yamaha. I curios if they lowered the motor/frame like they did on the wr's? and how that affects the handling?

:cry:

I am waiting for my '05 WR to arrive. The YZ's are in some shops but I haven't seen any around here yet. I will post in a WR ride report as soon as I have the free mods and new tires.

James

the yz's will be the same height as last year. Only the wr's got lowered. the wr doesnt get the new fancy forks either. It's strating to look like they will be diverging from each other from now on.

The forks are killer. Even on a 450 I cant believe how much smoother they feel compared to my 04 yz250f.

The '05 WR has the same fork and shock as the YZ just differnt linkage and settings. The WR has 12" travel and the YZ has 12.4 due to the wheels and geometry differences in the models. The WR has about 1/2 inch less ground clearence than the YZ and weighs 12 lbs more. Check the specs on the Yamaha web site.

James

no, what the wr gets is the larger forks the yz had last year. They do not get the new ones that comes with the yz's.

04 yz: 48mm fork, 04 wr:46mm

05 yz: new internals 48mm, 05 wr: 04's yz 48mm forks.

the forks are real different. You have to pull the cartridge out of the 05 yz's before you get to the spring now. It's upside down compared to 04. The 05 wr's will still take the spring out first then the cartridge.

I just left the Yamaha shop and paid for my steed (or rather, $0 down, $0 per month first year, 0% interest) :cry:. I will pick it up tonight and ride this weekend. I'll post my preliminary ride report soon after.

I don't think the YES warranty covers the WR or YZ dirtbikes. At least they're not quotable on their website.

yeppirs, new for 05. The YES warranty is extended to all 4 stroke bikes and atv's.

I got a 4 year warranty for my 450. I dont expect anything to fail, but it will definitely be a selling point down the road.

cool, i stand corrected! weird, i don't know why it's not quotable on their website??? anyway, good to hear it's offered on the thumpers. :cry:

enjoy your new 05! :cry:

who knows how long it will take them to update the website. I have had the 450 for a month now so you would think they would get on with it.

I wonder if they are trying to avoid fielding a ton of question from present owners about getting it for thiers too?

The dealer made no mention of such a warranty. Hmmm, I'd probably pass anyway.

What are you guys having to give for the 05's...?

Ok, ok .. at work but will give you a quick review. Keep in mind that I have owned 7 bikes in the last 7 years and all have been 2 smokes except for one four stroke (5 250s, one 200 EXC and one quick ownership of a KTM 400 SX ). Rode 30 miles at Hollister Hills on Saturday with its dusty and squared edge craters. Hollister also has lots of fast fire roads and nasty, root filled uphill ruts.

Suspension

Sag did not need adjusting and set compression to 5 clicks out from full soft (stock is 9 clicks out). Even with the crappy 739 on the front, the bike sticks incredibly well. I was as fast on high speed, zero traction fire roads within 1 minute on this bike than at anytime with my YZ250. Chalk that up to four stroke cornering habits I suppose. As for bumps, jumps and the other suspension testing terrain, it's very good at medium to high speed hits but a little jumpy when not pushing as hard. I realize it needs to break in more but it is still right there with my offroad valved and tuned suspension on my YZ250. Some say to ride it like a 125 but I'm not so sure I agree with that. You definitely can but I think I like the smoother four stroke-like riding style. Time will tell. Result: very happy with the suspension and will race an enduro in two weekends with it stock.

Motor

I ran 100 octane pump the first ride and had a Pro Moto Billet cap on the stock muffler with the quiet insert (>96db). Having come off the YZ, this thing has great power right of idle. I was fairly mellow but hit the rev limiter a few times after 5-10 miles. It has a real nice hit somewhere about 10k rpm (guessing) and you better have it pointed straight. I did stall it a few times because I was lugging it too much - it will burble and cut out when you do this but hey, with a redline of 14.5k, why was I lugging it? :cry: The aforementioned hills are where I really starting liking the bike. As soon as I figured out which gear and how much throttle to use, it seemed easier to climb the hills than my YZ. I also rode 30 miles Sunday without the quiet insert in and besides getting a headache, I noticed that the engine was much happier and had more power just about everywhere. I contribute part of that to the engine being broken in. My buddy rides a 03 YZ250F with the RPM 262cc kit and it felt about the same except the 262 had a bit more low-end. Starting is super easy regardless of whether you kill it on purpose or stall it at full throttle on the side of a hill - not an issue.

I definitely recommend the bike.