Sign in to follow this  

What are the benefits of a radial master cylinder?

I'm shopping for a new master cyclinder for my CRF. (I'm currently using the stock MC with a Motomaster race kit.) I noticed lots of people use radial master cyclinders but also noticed conventional ones are about a 1/3 of the cost of radial ones. So...

Why do radial master cylinders cost so much more and what does that buy you? Thanks!

Leverage and size. They take up less room on the bar, they are lighter and they provide true one-finger braking.

Are they worth the cost? That's up to you. They are pretty trick. Do you need that much braking force? Dunno. I will say that the first time I rode a bike with a radial master cylinder I almost dropped it just walking it around in the parking lot. I would not lend your bike out without a stern warning about the brakes.

Of course you will still need good caliper(s), rotor(s), pads, steel braided lines and proper bleeding. Otherwise you are just wasting your money.

HTH.

J

the master cylinder that i use is off the new 04 R1. 16mm, brembo. retail is around $150 for everything, my cost was around $80... which is DAMN good. great set up, need to use with a braking caliper and steel braided lines. i love it!

dan