Green Dot trail maps

Maps can be received from the Yakima office of the Washington State Dept of Wildlife (509)575-2740. Ask for an L.T. Murray/Wenas (SW of Ellensburg) Green Dot map. Also ask if they've got maps for the Whiskey Dick/Colockum area (NE of Ellensburg).

There is lots of riding in the Ellensburg (Kittitas Valley) area. The Green Dot roads are mostly just roads, but they can take you through a lot of beautiful high-steppe area where wildlife love to hang out. Through the years I've seen coyotes, bears, deer, turkey, and thousands of elk. Dozens of varieties of birds, too. Some areas there are old cabins or mining areas that have old buildings & structures. I grew up riding in these areas and it is a great place for newer riders to hone their skills. Most roads are rocky (some are very rocky). There are some mixed in hill climbs that makes things interesting, but mostly it is roads a person could drive an Urban Assault Vehicle on.

Throughout the years the WDFW has closed down many roads. Back in the early 80's they went to the Green Dot system. Roads that are open to travel are designated with a Green Dot, all other roads and trails are closed to motorized vehicles. These areas are frequented by horseback riders. There is plenty of space in this open country, why they insist on riding down the friggin road I'll never understand. There's thousands of game trails they can ride on that us ORVs can not. I've had more negative confrontations with horse people in this area than any other. When I see horses I just give them a wide berth, plenty of space and try not to piss them off.

ORV tags are the only thing required to ride on Green Dot roads. Vehicles do not need to be street legal, nor operators licensed. This is State Recreation Land managed by the WDFW. The DNR has some parcels checkerboarded in some of the areas. There are also pockets of private land in other areas.

Camping in these areas is very primitive. Just a dirt parking lot, some of the canyons have open dispersed camping. I've spent most of my time in the Joe Watt and Robinson Canyons to the SW of Ellensburg. Riders could ride from the Green Dot areas into the USFS trail system near Buck Meadows. There is a short section of USFS road that would require street legal machine, but I've ridden 100 miles in one day going from Joe Watt Canyon, to Buck Meadows, Quartz Mountain, down into the Little Naches area and back. We would have the wives or other non riders drive a pickup truck to the top of Quartz Mountain with lunch and gas for a noon stop. Beautiful views of Mt. Rainier.

Good luck with the maps. As you can see this is one of my favorite areas....

Old Man Time: Yes, there's lots of riding in this area. I was fortunate enough to live in E-burg for 5 years. My dad took me riding there during that time. In the summer of '84 we rode darn near everyday that summer. It is something I'll never forget. We also hunt in this area (Joe Watt, Taneum, Robinson, Manastash, Tamarack Springs, etc).

A ride would be a great idea. The possibilities are endless. This year is getting pretty short, though. Hunting season is right around the corner and these areas get lots of hunters. I've ridden up there before during deer season and got lots of odd stares. After elk season ends, many of the areas close down to motor vehicles due to elk feeding, then comes the snow.... Best time to ride here is May/June and September/early October. During the summer it gets hot until you get up to the 4500 ft. elevation where there is some relief.

We should meet up sometime..

Greg M: Mattawa Poker Run? Which one are you talking about? The Old Mattawa PR that was run in Mattawa back in the 70's/80's? or the Desert 100 Vantage site with all the rock gardens or the Odessa dustbowl site?

Since the area is so huge (encompasses Lower Kittitas Valley from Exit 93 to Vantage), the terrain varies. The predominant feature is rock--lava, basalt rock from pre-historic days. Some areas have less than others. But it is not like the Desert 100 course. The rock is usually mixed in with dirt and there are good lines for dirt bikes. When I was a kid on an XR80 I learned to stay loose on the bike, put my weight back and keep the throttle on.

Some areas like the Uptanum (Durr Road entrance on the south side), you won't see many trees. This is high steppe desert area with sage brush. As you go further west, you'll get into the trees with creeks, springs, and a few ponds.

When the riding groups are small the dust isn't a big deal. Many roads we can ride 3 abreast without any problems, no one eating dust. Rocks don't give off that much dust.

There are some excellent views of Kittitas Valley from the tops of the mountains. You can also ride clean to Selah, Rosa Dam and even the town of Naches all on Green Dot roads.

On the northside, in the Colockum area, there is more riding. I had only ridden there a few times when I was a kid. We rode the old stagecoach route up to Colockum Pass and all over the Whiskey Dick area. I'd like to explore these areas more.