Sign in to follow this  

Beware of chain on 2005

I was at one of my local track’s today to run in the new CRF and it was a disaster. The conditions were wet and muddy which is no big deal here in Scotland. I warmed the bike up for a couple of minutes then onto the track, as I was starting the third lap the bike stopped in the bottom of a horse shoe between two hills and I was on my noise. Once I picked the bike up out of the puddle of mud and started it again it kept staling as soon as the clutch was let out. At first I thought it was the front brake that was grabbing but it turns out the chain was bar tight. So tight the bike would not move. I went and got tools to try and slacken the wheel but there was no adjustment to be had. It meant stripping the axle out and splitting the chain at the link. This was no fun in a mud bath and off course it was raining. This left nothing to do but pack up and go home. That was less than five minutes running and the chain is no use, to say I was Pi**ed off would be an understatement. I have put on a 520 X ring so that should be an end to anymore trouble. So be careful when running your new steed in that this does not happen to you. To look on the bright side the bike only has a few scratches it could have had a gearbox ripped apart and broken engine cases.

The stock chain is crap.

When it's real muddy you want to run your chain on the loose side because when the mud packs in it it will tighten up.

I could not loosen the chain anymore :cry: it was at the end of the adjusters but it was well within its limits for freeplay. You would expect a chain to stretch first time out but not in this case. Its not unheard off I know of a new Yam 450 that had the same probs. Your right stock chains are a joke on jap bikes, there is a few things they could learn from KTM :cry:

Have not heard much good of the stock chains on CRF250R, 04 and 05. I will be replacing my chain with a Renthal one soon... the chain adjuster is slid as far back as I dare to go. It wore out fast... or might that be my crappy riding? Probably lol :cry:

Its always been known that Honda chains are junk. :cry:

Please DRZ4001311, sell your bike so we don't have to hear you keep whining about it. If you are so disapointed do something about it!! :cry:

This is great motorcycle that anyone should be pround to maintain and own. :cry:

My 04 X has over 40hrs of technical single track time and i know another guy with about the same time on his and we have hardly needed to touch it.I clean and lube it every ride.

My 04 X has over 40hrs of technical single track time and i know another guy with about the same time on his and we have hardly needed to touch it.I clean and lube it every ride.

The X comes with an o-ring chain (t-ring) the R comes with a 3-156017.JPGSlinky

from the first post:

"Once I picked the bike up out of the puddle of mud and started it again it kept staling as soon as the clutch was let out. At first I thought it was the front brake that was grabbing but it turns out the chain was bar tight. So tight the bike would not move."

I don't think this has anything to do with the brand of chain. I see it all the time at Southwick when someone falls on the drive side and sand gets between the sprocket and the chain making it so tight the wheel can't be turned. Sometimes having a few guys roll the bike backwards will free it up, but not usually. The stock chains are kind of cheap, but they have always been. Take it off when you buy the bike, and put it back on when you sell it.

Its always been known that Honda chains are junk. :cry:

Please DRZ4001311, sell your bike so we don't have to hear you keep whining about it. If you are so disapointed do something about it!! :cry:

This is great motorcycle that anyone should be pround to maintain and own. :cry:

So if they are junk why are you telling me to sell it I am just backing up that the chain stretches. Read the forums there are some problems here but so far I am good and the bike runs great. I will ride until Yamaha goes to the aluminum frame. then I might switch but for now I have a thing for Honda like it is a great bike. I love this bike.

Honda has always used junk chains on the race bikes :cry:( cr's and crf's ). When i got my '05 250r last week everything was in spec, after about 30 minutes of break in riding the chain had about 2 more inches of play over factory spec. :cry:

Luckily for my I had a nice regina gold chain laying around so now the stock honda chain is just wall decoration in my shop :cry:

So if they are junk why are you telling me to sell it I am just backing up that the chain stretches. Read the forums there are some problems here but so far I am good and the bike runs great. I will ride until Yamaha goes to the aluminum frame. then I might switch but for now I have a thing for Honda like it is a great bike. I love this bike.

No, I don't think you should sell it. But I do get tired of you talking the bike down and always saying your going to a yamaha for one reason or another.

I work at a dealship, not a Honda dealership either, and we have seen far more problems with Yamahas than any of the thumpers. Sure Yamaha has been around for a longer time than the Green, Yellow or Red variety. But then again, ALL BIKES NEED MAINTENANCE!!!

2 strokes need less of it, but who wants to go back to mixing fuel!!! :cry: :cry:

Actually I would be scared to go to a Yamaha because the one I had was a total nightmare gears exploded in first ten minutes of the first ride, it was covered because they forgot to pack a bearing but still. I may take the chance again. I like all the bikes I bought three Hondas this year CRF150, Crf250R and a CBR1000rr so yes I am a Honda fan. THe 1000 rocks all!!!

My attitude comes from this forum maybe I need to stay away all I read is negative so how is the Honda does anyone like it??? I love mine. :cry:

I feel the love!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

My bike is at this moment being transformed from a supermoto racer to a woods bike and some MX too! I plan on keeping it! My feeling is, if I have any problems with mine I will just keep modding it until I get sick of it and move on. If that ever happens!! :cry: