Sign in to follow this  

2000 Husaberg 501 - a good deal?

Found one of these for sale - around $2400 I think. I'm told it's in "great" condition. I got to ride a 2004 550 once & it was AWESOME, but I don't know enough about Husabergs to know differences in model years. From what I understand the frame is the same from 2000-on, but the engine varies...

All I've even owned is KTM - Husaberg is similar enough I suppose...

A good buy? Anything to be aware of on the 2000 501's? (I've heard nightmarish top-end issues & impossibly starting scenarios...)

Does the no-more-dual-sport thing in CA only apply to 2004-newer bikes? Can I get this thing street-legal in CA?

Inte

the 2000 is a good model and will be more of a bike than you may need so don't even think about a lack of power. they're not that bad to start, basically if you try to start it cold on the button-you won't! you must kickstart them cold and once warm they'll start on the button every time.

they're reliable enough in 2000 and the only concern is that the SEM ignition can go. this is situated on the end of the crank and latest figures are $350.

handling is the best feature, that and the fact that you can pick them up very cheap.

they altered the engine the year after yours and moved the water pump down off the cam to the left sidecover. in 2003 they altered the frame geometry considerably by changing the head angle of the frame. even before this though they handled really well.

take your chances like every one. try this document for lots of info here

perhaps more important is the question:

do i want to buy something different and all the disadvantages that brings? do i mind trying something different at the risk of it not being 100% reliable?

BTW. my WR400 was unreliable. the husey hasn't let me down yet.

Taffy (FE400e-2002 model)

Inte:

I too was looking for a Berg (see my posts). I almost landed a 03FE501 new, or was it a 550, but didn’t feel confident in buying one because of the potential issues. I forget. Anyhow, from what I learned, either you have to address these issues which he mentioned, or buy a 04 and newer or a 2000, which has the older school motor with very few issues, but it has the newer style frame/graphics compared to the 99’s and back.

If I were going to buy a berg now for a spare bike, it would be a 2000 FE501E, or a brand new one, 04 and above. But for the price, the 2000 would do what I need it to do.

If that 2000 is in good shape, and was well taken care of, I would jump on it. :cry:

Ryan-

The early style engines are good motors. From around 95 to 2000 you won't have too much trouble if you service it with frequent oil changes, keep the valves adjusted, and restrain from revving the snot out of it all the time. They added an oil pump in 97, but the original Husky oiling system worked fine. With the new frame, an 00 can be a bargain. Contrary to the general consensus, an 03 can be a bargain as well. The engine in a TRUE 03 is the same as an 04 without the Jap ignition and Carb. Problem is there were very few 03 models imported and most dealers were selling 02 models in 03, so be careful here.

Dan