Sign in to follow this  

Could have been fatal?

I just picked my DRZ up from the dealer after having its first service. I asked if they'd replaced one of the rad shroud screws that shook loose after I'd fitted the Unabikers. He said he had and also pointed out that he'd replaced the front wheel nut that was missing. :cry:

He looked a bit sheepish when I said I hadn't had the front wheel off the bike yet - in other words, it wasn't correctly tightened when they did the PDI.

Am I correct in saying that the front wheel nut just locks off a threaded axle? Even so, it's still fairly scary because I did 200 miles on Sunday!

Ian

He looked a bit sheepish when I said I hadn't had the front wheel off the bike yet - in other words, it wasn't correctly tightened when they did the PDI.

Thats why you should be doing all the work yourself instead of paying the dealer to do crappy work. :cry:

Thats a rather scary thought. That is part of the reason the forks clamp onto the axle also.... So you dont do a face plant @ 100mph into the asphalt. :cry:

I guess you "should" always at least check critical components before you ride. Even though I must say that I usually don't either. I guess this is a good example for all.

Wheels and brakes. :cry:

This kinda thing is why I do my own work on my vehicles.

I always thought that was a part of the pre-ride check :cry:. Anything can and will happen on a motorcycle in regards to its fasteners.

Yep, I'll take it on the chin and say I'm guilty of failing to check the bike every trip. But then I do an 8 mile commute on it pretty much every day (and I'm always late for work) and I'm unfamiliar with the bike, too, so didn't notice the nut was missing. Until you've worked on a bike, you don't really know it well IMHO.

My Aprilia was stripped and rebuilt last winter and every fastener was threadlocked where necessary and torqued to specification. It gets a thorough check before every trackday. I'll be doing the same (partially) to the DRZ this weekend as I'm putting on new tyres and greasing the headrace before it corrodes. I might just drop out the swingarm someday soon and grease the bearings properly, too.

Ian

I'm not the best at checking my road bike every trip but I do look it over before any longer trips and at least once a week when I'm riding it regularily. The dirt bike on the other hand gets it every ride. Even then I've lost fasteners.

Definatly do the rear end of your bike as well, the stories of what some people have had to go through to get the swingarm pivot bolt out are horrifying.