Sign in to follow this  

Ride Pics - Morman Wells Road

I skipped work and took this ride about a week ago. It is the Morman Wells road outside of LV. It's in a national wildlife refuge and requires plates, or so I am told. The road was once a trail followed by Morman settlers due to the ability to find water from springs.

The first part of the ride is in through the Joshua Tree Forest.

Kinda cool for the desert cause the valley slopes up at an angle that makes the entire valley floor look green, just from the tops of the joshua trees.

Mostly a high speed run, but still a good way to log some miles. I made 115 miles total riding from my house with about 7 miles to pavement total.

P9230005Web.jpg

P9230007Web.jpg

Next is Peek a boo Canyon, which leads to higher elevation.

P9230010Web.jpg

P9230013Web.jpg

The higher elevations provided some nice view and even some trees. That riding in the trees make ya want to not miss a turn and go off the trail. :cry:

P9230014Web.jpg

Made it up to about 6200 feet and the bike still ran good. I think the colder air helped.

P9230017Web.jpg

Long ride home, but its all good.

P9230021Web.jpg

I am getting ready for a new tire. I am thinking about a 739AT. This is the 606 at about 800 miles, almost all dirt.

P9230020Web.jpg

Ride Safe. :cry:

Fun looking ride!

I did about 100 miles last weekend in the Tug hill area of NY. It's fun to hit up some gravel roads from time to time.

No pictures though..I need to get a cheaper digital cam to bring on rides. My DVcamcorder cost too much to throw in a back pack while riding.

My luck is that I will crash and bust nothing but the camera.

Just a question on high speed dirt roads...

How do you go around corners at high speed without slowing right down so you dont lowside if you lean or have the bike slip out from under you?

Yes ive never raced or anything like that..kind of a noob in this area :cry:

Someone else can probably answer your question better than me. I do slow down for the corners since I am alone and about 30 miles from cell phone coverage. I am not looking to lay it down.

Here is what I do. I ride as fast I think I can without sliding. You can start to feel it slide and just back off. I also sit up near the tank so the back slides first and that is easier to control. Finally, I use any burm or rut or the bank on the side of the road, to try to bank the turn.

The turns that get me are turns that fall away from the direction of the turn. I probably ride those slower than anyone else. Anyway, I am rambling. Post in the riding techniques forum and maybe Dwight will respond. He's the man. :cry:

That Suzuki Green :cry: looks good out there! :cry:

Thanks. It would look better with your full Yosh pipe. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am trying to decide my next mod. Clark 3.9 tank, Dampener, or full yosh pipe. I think the dampener would be best.

Nice pics, I remember flying out of Vegas after the CES show during the day and looking down at the trails saying to myself, damn I can't wait until my son is old enough to bring out there and ride with! Another few years and Jake and I will be out there to ride! :cry:

Handling first then build the motor!! :cry: Although I did get my yosh before I replaced my suspension!! :cry:

I am getting ready for a new tire. I am thinking about a 739AT. This is the 606 at about 800 miles, almost all dirt

get a Michelin Baja. Thank me later :cry:

Beutiful pics too. THATS what desert is all about.

The turns that get me are turns that fall away from the direction of the turn. I probably ride those slower than anyone else.

I would be happy to show you a truly low speed turn :cry:.

That really looks like a beautiful place. I would love to check that out sometime if you want some company.

get a Michelin Baja. Thank me later :cry:

Beutiful pics too. THATS what desert is all about.

There are not many trails off this road which makes it not as good, but I wanted to check out that valley and pass.

CISCO, that is the other tire I am considering. I have read your and other's posts and had decided on it but have not found it locally, although they could order it. I think moredesert runs it too sometimes and likes it. I probably couldn't tell the diff, but I want a hard compound, stiff tire. I liked the baja a bit better cause it is DOT. I have to add that I liked the 606, but I have not run other tires to compare it to. Maybe after I ride the baja, the 606 will be a dog. :cry:

Thanks all for the comments. :cry:

[understand the terrain] The right tires are a good part of success with flat corners/sweepers. The key is to maintain a steady throttle position & get your foot out there in front of you as you approach the corner (This keeps confidence up). Position your bottom on the outer portion of the seat, keep your eyes focused on the exit and learn to embrace some degree of slide. Hit the throttle hard just past the Apex and you're sure to be ahead of your buddies! :cry:

The Michelin Baja tire rocks. Awesome grip and is lasting a long long time (not sure on the mileage but I ridden a lot of miles on it) I would suggest it for any trail/desert rider.