Sign in to follow this  

AC Racing Subframes - What do you think?

I have a 2004 CRF450 and I am looking for a subframe. I am thinking about buying one from AC Racing since they are cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with their products?

I did find a few negative posts about their products but the posts were from 2002. Has anyone have any information on the NEW ones? (Part#02-4151)

Finally, am I really getting a better product for a cheaper price by going with AC Racing instead of OEM?

Thanks in Advance

I ordered an AC Racing subframe for my '02 yzf. I bought a '03 subframe to retro fit it and convert it to '03 plastics, tank, subframe, master cylinder, etc., and the darn thing didn't fit. I wouldn't buy through them again.

I bought one for my 97 CR250 and it fit perfectly... hmmm

oh and it was a just a hair stronger looking...

are you saying it didnt fit because it was an 03 frame on a 02 yz?!? and thats why you wouldnt buy from them again?

ive put a few on and they fit very well on some older cr's.

dunno about newer bikes.

I actually called them today and did mention the negative feedback regarding some of the 02 products. They said:

"We are now using a better gauge alluminum which is stronger and if there is a problem with it we can exchange it no problem.".

Second quote from them: "It's normal for a small percentage of aftermarket products to have some defects. If that's the case, we will exchange the product and shipping is on us".

It sounded good but I would like to hear some more feedback from people that actually got some of the newer subframes.

Thanks in Advance

I used them on several of the YZ's . The cost was the only reason. With ebay I would never bother to buy another AC subframe.There is always someone selling a stock unit. They were ok, but nothing more. I always found it annoying to have to notch a sidepanel or twist the airbox to make everything work. If the factory units rated a 9, the AC would only rate a 7. They work, but barely.

I have one on my crf and it is not as strong as stock. I bought it because it was cheaper after my buddy wadded my bike up. It is not anodized and did not fit as well as stock. It was cheaper though

Mine fits fine except the muffler mount was a bit off, but then again, my ST/Yosh pipe fits a bit different than a stocker anyway...I would buy again...on fit and looks alone I would give a 7/10...it was a bit tight. But for the price, man, a bargain.

I purchased an AC subfram for my yzf426 and it fit well. I welded on reenforcement taps to add strenght.

Check out this ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2491009256&category=10066

That is how you reenforce your subframe by welding gussets in the corners. You might want to consider it if you are prone to crashing.

Hello therapture,

Do you remember where you bought it from and how much?

The best prices I have found so far for OEM & AC:

OEM: $262

AC: $175

If you are saying 7/10 for the AC subframe, how are you rating the OEM? If it's better, I would rather spend the extra $87 and get that.

Thanks Everyone for their feedback :cry:

Hello therapture,

Do you remember where you bought it from and how much?

The best prices I have found so far for OEM & AC:

OEM: $262

AC: $175

If you are saying 7/10 for the AC subframe, how are you rating the OEM? If it's better, I would rather spend the extra $87 and get that.

Thanks Everyone for their feedback :cry:

The 2004 and 2003 subframes will interchange however the pipe mount IS a different location. You would need a matching year model exhaust to go with it...

I only paid $125 for mine from a local source but that is a special price and I don't know if it can be done for everyone, I sell parts to this guy...

Yes, 7/10 only because my custom pipe mount had a small clearance issue, most likely a stock pipe would not have trouble at all. The fit to the lower mounts was tight, but they lined up. The seat holes lined up with just a bit more than normal down pressure on the seat. No big deal. It is on and very straight. :cry:

You said:

"The 2004 and 2003 subframes will interchange however the pipe mount IS a different location. You would need a matching year model exhaust to go with it..."

I was thinking of going this way since I can find a lot more 2003 subframes than 2004. My question is:

If I get the 2003 subframe and a 2003 OEM Exhaust, will that work with my 2004 OEM Head Pipe? Am I looking for trouble or am I going to mess up anything?

You said:

"The 2004 and 2003 subframes will interchange however the pipe mount IS a different location. You would need a matching year model exhaust to go with it..."

I was thinking of going this way since I can find a lot more 2003 subframes than 2004. My question is:

If I get the 2003 subframe and a 2003 OEM Exhaust, will that work with my 2004 OEM Head Pipe? Am I looking for trouble or am I going to mess up anything?

No, it won't work, the headpipe on the 2004 mates to the silencer at a different location. You need to match all three parts from the same year model. If you get a 2003 subframe, you are going to need a 2003 header AND silencer.

I hope that was clear. The 2004 COMPLETE exhaust will fit a 2003 subframe, the subframes have the same pipe mount location between an 03 and 04. You just can't use a 2003 header with a 2004 silencer or vice versa because the 2004 header is shorter to the point where it meets the silencer stinger.

Anyway, hope that helps...

I BOUGHT ONE FOR MY 03 CRF450 AND IT WORKS BIKE SEEMS A LITTLE LIGHTER THOUGH AS FAR AS QUALITY THEY SEEM TO BE BUILT FAIRLY WELL. ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 5 I WOULD PROBABLY GIVE THEM A 4. FIVE IS RESERVED FOR OEM PARTS. IT WORKS GREAT YOU CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A STOCK ONE PLUS THE CHROME IS COOL ESPECIALLY IF YOU BUFF IT TO A SHINY FINISH . PS I DO NOT RECCOMEND TRYING TO BEND THE STOCK ONE BAK IN SHAPE AS I HAVE FOUND THAT IT WEAKENS THE WELDS :cry: