Sign in to follow this  

'05 KYB twin chamber vs. Showa

A ? for those that have spent some time testing the new '05 kayaba twin chamber forks. I have an '05 YZ125 and feel the new suspension is a huge improvement over the components on my '03 YZ450. However, with stock valving it's still not as good as the stock showa forks I've tested on a crf250. The KYB matches the showas in everything except for the plushness in the initial part of the stroke. It seems that for equal progression and bottoming resistence the KYB's are a little harsh and transmit more energy to my hands where the showas were just silky smooth. My questions is since they are now utilizing the same technology can the KYB's be set-up to perform as well as the showas or they are just not there yet with their development. FYI - I'm a 165# novice that rides MX/SX SoCal tracks.

Thanks

no they will work fine -----they just valved the bass alittle stiff and left the mid alittle soft for most riders--------its a great fork, i still kinda like the fit and finnish of the showa alittle better but their is nothing wrong with the kybs ----you just have to do some testing and changing to get them where you want them -----witch is what your going to do with any bike !!

Thanks for the input :cry: Do you think suspension tuners have had enough time to test the new stuff to have a good handle on how to dial 'em in or are they so similar to the showas that you could almost apply the same settings?

well the big thing is that you find a tuner that will ride the bike at least at the intermediate level and he will find out real quick what needs to be changed ------it only takes about two laps to realize it is not even in the ballpark---------and thats the big thing is finding a tuner close to you that will test and change and test some more and get it where you like it and can feel good on it, there should be somebody close to you that goes to the track !!