Sign in to follow this  

Classic Problem with a Classic Bike | XT600

My wife's XT600 is pretty much great. Sure you need to plan braking in your Palm Pilot, but what else are they good for. Anyway here's the problem. The electrical system is weak at best. The light doesn't really work, same with the turn signals and brake light. The odd thing is that when two or more are used together (turn signal and while braking) they work okay. Still not 100%, but much better. I'll be honest that I haven't done a ton of digging into the problem, but I'm told it was fairly common with this bike... or at least electrical problems were. Anyway the only thing I know for sure is that I charged the battery fully and it had no effect on the condition. Of course there isn't a shop that's willing to look at it. Any help or ideas would be great. My email is s.halenda@mayfiremarketing.com if that's easier.

My XT 86 has been pretty good on wiring....biggest problem is worn wiring....I'd check all the harness connections for corrosion, and then for pinch/rub spots all along the harness to eliminate grounding problems and other resistance issues. Get a voltmeter/tester and check for output strength......No fun, but it's gonna save you labor costs to start the process.