Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Shock Revalve Results

As has been listed here, I'm revalving the relatively stock shock on my '99 XR4. I'm 155 lbs and am running a 9.0 kg/mm shock spring. The problem I was having was that the low speed compression seemed OK, but a sharp edged bump at medium to high speed would send the rear end (and me) flying into an endo position - even at full soft compression damping. I previously had my local Honda dealer revalve the shock, but I didn't like the results (it appears he just moved the compression crossover shims two positions closer to the piston in the stack). I then got some recommendations from Kelstr (and others) on this forum and finally settled on my own stack mods. It's all in a spreadsheet located here. The data columns are "98-up XR400R" (stock stacks), "Ed" (my Honda dealer stacks), "Kelstr" (Kelstr's recommendations), and "Installed 9-04" (what I actually installed). As you can see, I went a little conservative on Kelstr's recommendations and only implemented part of his suggestions.

I must say that for my riding style and riding environment, the improvement was immediately noticeable. The sharp hits were absorbed MUCH better and overall stability through the whoops was greatly improved! But after playing with clicker settings, I found myself still wanting less high speed compression damping and a little more rebound damping. As a result, I do believe that Kelstr's recommendations are close to spot on :cry:.

But further testing will have to wait until after my MRI this weekend (bent my knee a wrong direction during testing :cry:). This may give me time to redo the stack. Thanks to all who posted suggestions :cry:.

man you bent your knee wrong oh no i hope its not to bad , i have ruined both of mine and i pay for it everyday, and im glad you are going in the right direction with you testing ----let us know about your knee.

Yeah, I hope it's not too bad. I don't even have an exciting crash story; I just stuck my foot out to catch my front tire washing out of a groove at a pretty low speed and my foot just stuck. I've dislocated that knee cap twice before (once just walking around the end of my bed!!) so it's kind of a weak joint. Will post more results (hopefully soon) and thanks again for the valving suggestions :cry:.