mikuni pumper

? I LOVE mine! Decreases the response time for the throttle. My bike will "kick" immediately! If I blip the throttle the front end will come up in 1st and 2nd gear.

They are rather expensive! Make sure you spend your money on dialing in the suspension BEFORE you buy that mod! This will increase your speed more than any engine mod......period!

A properly jetted stock carb. is ALMOST as good as the pumper. Do the Gordon Mods....then the suspension....then the pumper!

I've done every mod I can think of and a CRF450 just slowly walks away from mine, once we hit the 50 mph range!

The XR is the BEST trail bike ever made!

I love mine also. For me, the throttle response was what really impressed me. Just a quick twist and you're gone, no bog or hesitation of any kind. Starting is a one kick ordeal, hot or cold. Power increase was moderate, nothing for me to be raging about.

Another carb to look at is the Edelbrock. The biggest difference between the Mikuni and the Edelbrock is jetting. With the Mikuni, you have to change jets the old fashioned way, where as the Edelbrock all you have to do is twist a small knob. Extremely convenient. Another difference is that the Mikuni squirts gas everytime you twist the throttle. The Edelbrock squirts only the "whacked". Some say that this affects gas mileage but I get better mileage with my Mikuni than I did with my stock carb.

Do a search, this has been discussed numerous times.

Greetings....

For my Sunday project I installed a new Mikuni Pumper on my '03 XR400 today.

When completed, it took one kick to get it started. I mean one single kick with no choke and no "fiddling" with carb. I was thinking it might take some work to get it started for the first time. Nope, one kick.

I'm so amazed because the bike has never started on one kick when it was cold and sometimes doesn't start on the first kick when I've got it warmed up.

I'm still smiling about it.

?

Tested the carb in Ocotillo Wells Saturday morning. One word: AWESOME

Usually takes a few kicks to start in the morning when cold. Pulled the choke at 6:30am, one kick, and it fired right up.

Did about 75 miles that morning. Bike had noticably more grunt. The flat spot off the bottom was gone. Instant throttle response. Even when lugging the motor a little, give it some throttle and it comes to life.

Tipped over in a sand wash and the bike stayed running while on it's side. Grabbed the clutch, picked it up, and kept motoring.

I'm stoked. ?