Sign in to follow this  

blown head gaskets

alright question here. i just put my bike all back together today. i have a 83 xr500. i didnt replace the gasket like i was supposed to sense it only got rode for about 4 hours on it before i had to tear my bike down again. anyways heres the question. is it safe to ride with a blown head gasket???? :cry: :cry: i noticed today while i was riding but the only noticable difference was the lil hissing sound. i immediately took it home and put it away. :cry:

blown head gasket= lack of compression= lack of power and could lead to further damage...my guess is u overtourqed or undertourqed the head if u used a new gasket.....since u didnt well there is your problem, you shoulda replaced the gasket, once they are crushed once they are no good again and thats why its blown...head gasket has to form an air tight seal able to withstand the compression of the engine, worth the $20 to replace one

but since u didnt listen to the manual why would u listen to a 17 year old kid :cry:

Once u use a head gasket it should be replaced period.

A gasket has squish and once its been squished thats it :cry:

IMHO........

ok i know my answer!!! :cry: yep i wont ride it. anyways who said i asked a 17 year old? :cry: i just went by what my shop teacher said. oh well ill just have to tear my bike down again and spend the extra money. i knew i shouldve replaced it. well one good thing is i got real good at takin my engine apart and putting my engine back together again!!! :cry::cry:

ok i know my answer!!! :cry: yep i wont ride it. anyways who said i asked a 17 year old? :cry: i just went by what my shop teacher said. oh well ill just have to tear my bike down again and spend the extra money. i knew i shouldve replaced it. well one good thing is i got real good at takin my engine apart and putting my engine back together again!!! :cry::cry:

17 year old i was referring to was myself :cry:

The 17 year old is more reliable....ever hear the old saying, "Those who can, DO. Those who CAN'T, teach...." :cry:

Once u use a head gasket it should be replaced period.

A gasket has squish and once its been squished thats it :cry:

IMHO........

Any gasket should be replaced if you're taking it off. Even if It looks good, still should. This ensures no leaks down the road, and it's cheap and it's right there.

the reason why i put it back together with the old gasket is because im going camping this weekend and i wanted to see if it would work so that i could take my bike with me. other wise i wouldve waited to replace it. just another mistake i have made :cry: