Sign in to follow this  

Have done all easy mods but want more low to mid power

Hey all you best and brightest out there!

I am a strong rider that likes riding the tight, technical, rocky, rooty, trails with hill climbs, descents and all the interesting stuff.

I came off a modified 2000 XR250 and loved that bike but it just didn't have quite enough power and susp.

I went to a 2001 KTM 400EXC next. Great bike overall, but a little bit big and powerful for the tight stuff I was riding.

So I got my CRF250X. I have done the supension and easy engine mods (airbox, baffle, 42pilot, 150 main, twin air filter)

I love the bike overall but really liked the low to mid range power of the WR250F, KX250F 400EXC and my trusty XR250.

I've read about the power now units that will improve the low to mid but weaker the high (which is not that big of a deal to me).

I've also seen the complete jetting kits. Pipes etc.

What Beta can all you masters of thumper power share with me to improve my power and give me a wider lower to mid range? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Seems like you have a few options!

1. you could go up 1 or 2 teeth on the rear sprocket, that should give you more snap in the low end and midrange but you would sacrifice some top end!

2. try the JD jetting kit

3. power now!

4. try an exhaust system that adds more power like the DR.D.

5. Maybe even try the thumper racing 270cc big bore kit? :cry:

most of the above are on my "to do list " for my '05 250r :cry:

I'd go for the big bore kit and maybe a Dr.D system,and

then get some head work done and swap in a aftermarket cam.

I would re-gear it. Drop a tooth on the front sprocket or go up 2 or 3 teeth on the back. Or do both if you don't need the top end speed.

I dropped a tooth on the front and it's great for the slow tight technical stuff,but if ya want more mid range you won't be that impressed by that simple and cheap mod.It's a fun bike in stock trim with all the basic free mods but if ya want REAL mid range it's gonna cost REAL money.

:cry:

I contacted hot cams and they should have a cam for the 250's available in about 6 weeks! :cry:

When did you talk to them? I had called at the beginning of the month and they said early October.. I hate when dates keep getting pushed back!

How well does the power now system work.

I hear it is good on the low to mid but takes away from the top.

No big deal to me, but I just want to make sure that it is worth my time and money.

This bike just keeps getting costlier and costlier to get it to where I want it to be.

Also who makes the big bore kits and how much are they?

i contacted Hot cams through e-mail on monday, they replied with a 4 to 6 weeks answer on teusday mourning! I just said 6 weeks becasue thats what it will probably be :cry:

I keep hearing what a great pipe the OEM pipe is and how the aftermarket stuff doesn't make much difference.

I'm just starting to get the heebie jeebies putting more and more time and money into the experiment without being sure I will get the desired results.

What pipe do you recommend?

What results with a power now?

Thanks everyone! :cry:

when i was going through a similar process with my klx300, i finally just threw in the towel and bought a bigger more powerful bike. i have done absolutely nothing to my ktm to get more power. i spend the extra money on gas.

i know you guys love those little bikes, but i can't stand the idea of wasting all that time and money to chase a little more power (at the expense of more noise and sometimes less reliability) when plenty more power is available for about the same initial cost.

mw

Try a Pro-Circuit 496 pipe, a Powernow Plus and the new Powernow for the front of the carb. I used the Powernow on my CRF450, but not this X. I have customers that swear by these on the X.

On the R, the Dubach pipe is just unbeliavble low and mid (and top!!)

Cheapest pipe also and good construction, tough, no springs and crap.

Go get it!!

If you dont want to go to the JD kit the R needle works very well in the X.

I have the power now and I loose nothing on top, but then I in single nasty tight trails, so if you took a couple of K off the top of mine, oh well. I run mine up against the limiter now and again, and have lost nothing.

Power now works real well, adds response and a healthy gain low through upper mid.

There is another version of the power now, dont remember what it is, maybe someone else might.

Thumper racing is an option, but you loose your liner on the cylinder.

Only thing thing keeping me from doing it.

ONLY thing you are going to gain with a new exhaust is top end. NOthing out there beats the stock silencer for low to mid, the dynos prove it.

EVERYONES first thing is drop $4-$800 on a pipe, dont believe that is the best for the X. Maybe in other cases, not the x, especially if you ride single track for the most part. You want smoooooooth healthy low end.

Buying an R isnt necessarily the answer either. I have ridden the R off road, and they are nice, but I love my X way more. Suspension and handling is far superior off road than the modified R IMO. Bit lighter, but I enjoy the torque, 18 in rear, the the feel of the frame and suspension of the

X over the R. Plus the happy button in the nasty junk is worth the price of admission without question.

To each their own, why there are so many bikes out there.

For less than the cost of a pipe, if you want some incredible gains and not loose your lining in your jug, and still run pump gas....

Swap the piston out for the Wiseco +.75 one, incredible gains across the entire range, especially in low through way up mid range.

Get your head off to Eric Gorr at ForwardMotionracing.com and let him flow/polish your heads and give everything in the top end a good going over.

$199 for the head work, plus the piston

Shop.thumpertalk.com can square you away on the piston rings and gaskets, cheaper through thumpertalk.

All that is WAY cheaper than a pipe and your gains are far greater than any pipe and your motor still runs pump gas and is stock inside.

Honda spent a ton of change on testing the stock exhaust system to make it run well and quiet. More $$$ than FMF or anyone else can or will. Yes the aftermarket units flow better, but ONLY up top. Some people love that, which is way cool.

Change to an R head pipe and you loose your bottom-end.

But that is just an balding ol mans opinion and experience, and have only been riding a few years.......think over 35 of 'em in the saddle now.......gosh if I let myself I might get old....age only....Im still a kid inside.

Its all good........and I tried lots of off road set up two smokes. I am converted to the incredible traction and bite of the four strokes. I used to love the hit and the snap, but I enjoy the smaller thumpers that dont wear you out and you can whip like a mountain bike......the 250s for me, rock.

I do have my eye on a GAS GAS EC-300, the only two smoke off road bike I would own. 3 Stroke/4 stroke actually........they are sweet!

Good Luck!

HR

HR,

Now you've got my curiosity up with the comments about the Gas Gas 300. Of course I've never even seen one, yet alone ridden one. As I live in Missouri, we seem to be the last ones to get new fads, technology, etc. As a matter of fact, mullets and Novas are still very popular here...no, just kidding! :cry:

I have been scouring the internet for info and have read all I could find, plus the mag's take on those bikes. I am buying my next bike in the next few months and am in quite a quandry. There are some Gas Gas bikes out there and I'm really curious about them. You can get a great deal on one, but you'll probably own it forever as you simply can't re-sell them. Also, who knows about parts availability several years from now. But my real questions are performance related. First, I understand they are somewhat heavy bikes. Don't you feel that and doesn't that directly relate into piggish handling? How does the bike turn? And how is the chasis? The early perimeter framed KX's were stiff, long and stable. (Read, didn't turn real well). I've spent a day on the 250X and was really impressed, although I want something a little lighter with a little more power. Anyway, I felt that much of the suppleness of the Honda was its inherent frame flex. Bolt the same components with the same valving to another bike, say a Yamaha, and you still wouldn't get the cadillac ride of the Honda. You can't blame me for being leary of a spanish made motorcycle, Euro bikes are notorious for holding a line like a train, even when you don't want them to. The magazines say that the geometry of the bike and its chasis is old school, with a little steeper rake. I'm hoping that doesn't mean weird, boxy, vague or old school cornering. (Most of which I've experienced with KTM's, both 2 smoke & 4 stroke)I would think you could get the suspension components dialed and valved to suit your needs, so I'm not so concerned there.

I've also heard many conflicting reports about reliability and parts wearing quickly. Have you had any experience with these bikes, or know someone who rides them? Do they hold up?

So, those are my basic questions... 1) How does it handle & turn? 2) How is the suspension? 3) Will it last?

It sounds like the motors are magic, as far as output and tractability. I'm really interested to hear what you have to say about these bikes since you are well seasoned voice of reason. Plus, we have a baseline of comparison with the 250X. If you could, when you get some time please give some feedback and relate your experience and wisdom. If you want others to see this dialogue, you're the moderator and can do whatever you want with this. I kinda hate to see Gas Gas conversation buried in a thread. More competition is good for the industry and bikes, and keeps everyone honest and on their toes.

Oh, by the way....I'm not trying to hijack a thread, I didn't bring this up!!!! :cry:

Thanks in advance

Confused in Missouri :cry:

My brother owns a Gas Gas 200 EC and my buddy owns a 250 EC. Both are awesome bikes, purpose built for the woods. They require far less maintenance than the CRF. It is often a joke on how much less actually. They make great power and handle great, and come "ready to race",minus barkbusters, right out of the crate for a reasonable price. Beware of the magazines. The old mighty dollar is often at work when it comes to what a mag says. I do love my 250 X for many reasons, but I'm with Hawaii, if the X wasn't avaialable, I'd be passing you on my Gas Gas. And no one paid me to say that!

I've ridden Gas Gas's for the last four years and I can tell you they are without a doubt one of the best woods bikes made. Very quick turning yet stable and planted. My 2003 GG 300 was my best bike ever in the woods. All the torque of a 4 stroke and the weight of a 2 stroke. I was faster on that bike than my X. Even some regrets over making the switch, mainly because I've had a hard time selling it. My buyer backed out after 2 months of telling me he was taking it. Now it's fall and I can't sell it. Only 600 miles on it, not used at all this year, like new and I'm trying to dump it now for $3500. :cry:

But seriously, if you can get a ride on one try it. You'll be impressed. They're great bikes. :cry::cry: