Sign in to follow this  

First Race

Hey guys I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the Garret Berg Memorial race on Oct 10. This would be my first time racing and I have some questions (I've never watched a race to learn all the details except for a few pro races).

First of all the start. How do you know when to go? does the gate thing just drop or is there some kind of sound as well? Second how crowded can I expect it to be? I know that it will be tight around the first few turns etc, but will it be fairly packed for a majority of the race? Also how do you know when the race is over (I know that in all of the adrenaline im going to lose count of how many laps ive done)? What requirements are there like #'s

on bike? number/name on jersey?

Also since this is my first race my parents are still a little sceptical as to whether let me ride or not (it will be in the beginner 125 class) is there anything I can do to help this? Im planning on taking my dad with me to practice on the track that the race will be at so he can see that im capable of ridding it, but do you think there is anything else I can do?

Thankyou for the help.

Prior to my first race in the early 1980's, I went to the track I was going to be racing weeks ahead of time and watched the races just to get a feel for how they're ran.

I realize that you don't have much time but, if they're racing this coming weekend, I'd suggest that you do the same.

There's a lot of variables on starting procedures and it's really best that you see it in person. If not, at the very least you're going to want to watch some motos before yours.

Anyway, you're pulling our leg on the "how do you know when the race is over" stuff, right?

If you're not, it'll go "something" like this. They'll call your class to pre-staging or staging and perhaps for the first moto, they'll have you draw stir sticks from a bucket with numbers on them to see who gets 1st pick on the gate, etc.

They'll show you, for example, the 2-minute board (this is where it can vary greatly), flip it over to the 5-second board and hold it out to the side, turn it sideways then a second or two later, the gate will fall.

You'll get the holeshot and lead the whole race so the whole "how crowed is it" stuff is a non-issue. :cry:

Green flag when you come around for the first lap if the start was clean, red flag means a re-start. White flag-one more lap, checkered flag-you're done for that moto.

Second moto picks of gate usually are based on first moto finishes so you'll have first pick. :cry:

Have fun and be safe.

PS: Yes, you'll need numbers on your bike although you may have to change it (if someone signed up before you with the same number) so take extras or, in a pinch, some electrical tape. At the local level, you shouldn't have to have your name/number on your jersey or your number on your helmet.

Thanks alot, that really helps. Since I dont have time to go watch a race before then I think that im just going to go watch this one instead of racing in it. As for the "how do I know when its over" question, I dont know what I was thinking lol. Thanks alot for the good info.

Glad to help. As far as the folks go, just don't let them catch you looking at the thread with pics of the guys badly broken leg. :cry: :cry:

Take care.