Sign in to follow this  

02 WR 250 Valves

I see posts regarding re-shimming valves. Can anyone tell me what the tell tale signs are for the need to re-shim. Is it also normal for these engines to sound slightly rattley at idle. My bike performs perfectly and not had a problem with it since new but has always sounded this way :cry:

How many K's have you got on her ? Your bike should have been in for a valve adjustment at around 500K's ,But between the first 500 you should have dropped your oil at around 200 to 250 and changed your oil filter and oil screen should have been cleaned also .If you want you bike to last do it properly ,I've got an 04 WR250 ,with 126K's on the clock and have dropped and changed oil and filters allready . I would'nt worry at all about some engine noise it's a four banger it will make noise ,I know it's time for a oil change by the feel of the gear changes and by the K's on the clock ...But if your not happy take it to your bike mech and get him to check your valve clearences ,And make sure your running a top quality oil .Maxima is a good start ... :cry:

All that you have mentioned has been carried out on the bike since new & I religously change my oil every 250 - 300 k's. Just wondered what symptoms prompted people to re-shim.

Thanks for the info. :cry:

Croz

first of all it is good to see some more aussies in here.

back to your problem, the bikewhile mack a small backfire occasionally when the throttle is chopped closed, also it will be harder to start and you may notice a power loss.

best bet is to check them yourself as it is not a dificult procedure, if you have a workshop manual and can get access to one you should be able to do it easily.

can scan hte relevant pages and email them to you if you like, although it is for an 01 model the procdure is the same you may just need to contact a yamaha dealer to ind out the optimum clearance so you can measure them.

hope this helped.

Hey, thanks scheffaa. Likewise, good to here from another Aussie. Where abouts are you from ?? I'm from south of Perth in Mandurah. Crabbing capital of Australia. :cry:

I think the first sign is that its hard to start cold. They are a bit cold blooded anyways but I found a noticable difference and mine were just barely out of spec. I went from about 3-5 kicks, to 15-20. I had to go down one shim size all around. After that, it was like new again. :cry: